- Title: VISIT OF HRH THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH TO MALTA : November 1952 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 1404
- Other titles: POST-WAR NAVAL OPERATIONS - MISCELLANEOUS [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Detailed coverage of the visit of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh to Malta in November 1952.
- Description: Part 1: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh arrives at Malta, (26 November). Aircraft arrive and taxi to dispersal. Royal Salute, inspection of Guard, meeting VIPs. Duke departs in car. Part 2: Duke of Edinburgh visits HMS Magpie, (27 November). Ship approaches; inspection of Guard and crew, including older members. Part 3: Duke of Edinburgh visits HMS Theseus in Grand Harbour (Friday 28 November). HRH leaves Customs House Steps, Grand Harbour, in C-in-C's barge which moves to ship. HRH ascends lift and inspects Guard and Band on Flight Deck. Theseus slips into Bighi Bay with HRH on board. Shots of ship leaving Grand Harbour; Supermarine Sea Otter flies past. Part 4: further scenes of Theseus visit. Royal barge approaches, HRH ascends in lift, salute and inspections; walking to island. Demonstrations at sea; aircraft catapult off, rocket projectile attack by Sea Furies, dropping of depth charge, machine gunning of splash target. Aircraft land on. Duke departs. Part 5: Duke of Edinburgh leaves HMS Theseus in Marsaxlokk Harbour for his visit to HMS Falcon, Kalafrana and Hal Far (28 November). LCA carrying HRH comes into South Slip Kalafrana and HRH goes ashore for salute and inspection. At RNAS Hal Far he meets officers and inspects No 78 Wing RAAF. Other scenes include HRH disembarking from Theseus into LCA of 2nd Royal Marine Raiding Squadron and shot of Royal Standard and Ensign. Parts 6 and 7: HRH Duke of Edinburgh presents the Queen's Colours to 40, 42 and 45 Commando of the 3rd Commando Brigade RM, at the Floriana Parade Ground Malta. Band counter-marching. HRH inspects commandos; brigade forms hollow square. HRH presents Colours to two of each commando unit. Marchpast. HRH leaves. Arrival at Floriana: Duke takes salute from Admiral Mountbatten, Governor-General and GOC on dais. Brigade marchpast. HRH inspects commando. General shots. Presentation of the Queen's Colours. CU of Duke addressing parade (sound on tape was recorded by Rediffusion Malta and covers the whole ceremony). Part 8: HRH visits HMS Ocean (30th November). Parts 9 and 10: Duke attends display of Commando training given by 3rd Commando Brigade at Zurrieq and Ghar Lapsi (1st December). HRH takes salute of 42nd Commando RM at Zurrieq; he lands at Ghar Lapsi in LCA. HRH and VIPs land at Ghar Lapsi. Cliff climbing and Land Rover demonstration. HRH watches motorcycle and ammunition landings. Frogmen; leaving demonstration with VIPs. HRH on LCA, viewing cliff assault and watching demonstrations of power haulage, Land Rovers and a night patrol display.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1952-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Philip, Prince (Duke of Edinburgh) (person) Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Royal Navy, Royal Marines & Marine Raiding Sqdn 2 (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Royal Marines & Commando Bde 3 & 40 Commando (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Royal Marines & Commando Bde 3 & 42 Commando (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Royal Marines & Commando Bde 3 & 45 Commando (regiment/service) Royal Navy, FALCON (HMS), gunboat (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Magpie (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Ocean (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Theseus (regiment/service) Royal Australian Air Force, 78 Wing (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, light: Ocean (object name) ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, light: Theseus (object name) ships, British naval - escort: Magpie (object name) aircraft, British naval - combat: Hawker Sea Fury (object name) aircraft, British naval - seaplane: Supermarine Sea Otter (object name) ceremonies, British - customary (object name) ceremonies, British - display: military parade (object name) operations, British naval - amphibious (object name) training, British military - combat (object name) transport, British military - utility: Land Rover (object name) Visit of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh to Malta & 11/1952 (event) Malta & Bighi Bay (geography) Malta & Floriana <HAFMED headquarters> (geography) Malta & Ghar Lapsi (geography) Malta & Grand Harbour (geography) Malta & Hal Far <RNAS Station> (geography) Malta & Kalafrina <RNAS Station> (geography) Malta & Marsaxlokk Bay (geography) Malta & Wiez Zurrieq (geography)
- Physical Characteristics:
- Technical Details:
- Notes: Summary: film has not been viewed - information is taken from CNI records.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: