MEDIUM ARTILLERY AND ARMOURED UNITS GO INTO ACTION WITH 30TH CORPS SOUTH OF MONT PINCON [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: MEDIUM ARTILLERY AND ARMOURED UNITS GO INTO ACTION WITH 30TH CORPS SOUTH OF MONT PINCON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 120-15
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of a gun detachment serving with an unidentified medium artillery regiment enjoying brief moments of rest and firing their 5.5 inch gun. Armour from the 8th Armoured Brigade moves up to the front south of Mont Pincon to support the 50th (Northumbrian) Division.
- Description: The gunners are seen variously loading and firing several 5.5 inch shells on a hot summer's day and relaxing between being called to action stations. The regimental barber crops the hair of one particular gunner sitting on a pile of 5.5 inch shells. Several ex-DD Sherman tanks are among the armour belonging to the 13/18th Hussars (?) which is seen moving up to join 50th Division's 151st Brigade south of Le Plessis-Grimoult; their tracks churn up billowing clouds of dust which would normally invite almost instant retaliation from German artillery.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Parkinson (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 8 (regiment/service) British Army, Hussars, 13/18 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: weapons, British - gun: 5.5-inch gun (object name) armour, United States - tank: M4 Sherman & [British] (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 191 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: See A70 120-14 for similar footage and refer to A70 109-5, 115-2, 120-2 and 7, 123-2 and 124-5 for material showing artillery in action on 30th Corps' front during the first three weeks in August 1944 and refer to footage showing 30th Corps in action during "Bluecoat" culminating in the capture of Mont Pincon and the advance towards the Noireau valley. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 120-14. Documentation/associated material: Refer to the publications listed in A70 109-5 for a bibliography.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: