REPAIR WORK IN THE MARSHALLING YARDS AT CAEN RAILWAY STATION (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: REPAIR WORK IN THE MARSHALLING YARDS AT CAEN RAILWAY STATION (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 120-17
- Other titles:
- Summary: French railway workers help the personnel of the 206th Railway Workshop Company RE and No 126 Pioneer Company restore the marshalling yards and some of the seventy-two locomotives found at the Gare de l'Etat in Caen.
- Description: A group of sappers and Frenchmen help jack a locomotive tender onto the rails. Engineers assess the damage inflicted on the boiler of a large locomotive by blast and bomb fragments. Nearby, pioneers clear railway lines and points of debris and rubble and fill in bomb craters. a team of plate-layers pack earth under newly-laid sleepers. One of the least damaged of the engines in the railway sidings is seen in the process of being jacked back onto the rails; the French SNCF divisional inspector of railway depots and the sergeant in charge of maintenance in 181st Railway Operating Company RE discuss ways and means of how this can best be done. Two French railway workers remove bits of dirt and grit from a locomotive's piston rods and cylinder head. Mechanics work over machine lathes and tools to repair the working parts of rehabilitated locomotives inside a railway workshop.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Gordon, J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Engineers, 206 Railway Workshop Company (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Pioneer Corps (regiment/service)
- Keywords: destruction, French civilian (object name) transport, French civilian - rail: locomotives and rolling stock (object name) Gare de l'Etat Railway Station, Caen, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 202 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: See A70 94-1, 99-2, 120-10, 11, 18, 122-6 for footage showing restoration work in Caen's main railway station. Refer to A70 56-2, 70-2, 3, 96-1, 102-1, 2, 104-2, 105-8, 111-1, 113-13, 119-8, 120-12 for material showing work on the railways in Bayeux, Caen and elsewhere. Apart from the damage inflicted on it from June 6th to July 19th 1944, the Gare de l'État was subject to Allied bombing prior to D-Day. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné footage listed above, notably A70 120-11 and 122-6 for similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 56-2, 70-2 and 94-1.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: