REINFORCEMENTS CROSS THE ORNE INTO 12TH CORPS' BRIDGE-HEAD [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: REINFORCEMENTS CROSS THE ORNE INTO 12TH CORPS' BRIDGE-HEAD [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 124-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: Transport crosses the Orne at Goupillieres and moves into the Bridge-head originally won by the 59th (Staffordshire) Division in order to reinforce 53rd (Welsh) Division's advance towards the much-prized objective of the 2nd British and 1st Canadian armies.
- Description: Bedford three-ton lorries, M5 half-tracks, Universal carriers, Morris recce. cars and motorcycle despatch riders belonging to 2nd Army and 53rd Division units cross the dried-up Orne river over a ford bridge constructed by 59th Division's engineers near the weir and powerhouse at Goupillieres. Meanwhile the REME crew of a Churchill ARV repair a knocked-out Churchill tank belonging to the 107th RAC, a regiment which was severely mauled by 'Kampfgruppe Krause' during the fighting for the Orne bridge-head.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-14
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Watkins, R V (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Armoured Corps, Bn 107 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 34 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Engineers (regiment/service) British Army, Div 59 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 53 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 12 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - tank: Churchill (object name) armour, British - funnies: Churchill ARV (object name) transport, British military - truck: Bedford 3-ton 4x2 (object name) armour, British - armoured car: Morris II light reconnaissance car (object name) armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) operations, Allied military - movement: river crossing (object name) engineering, military, British: ford bridge (object name) Orne (River), France (geography) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 91 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Note: See A70 111-5, 112-5 and 6, 113-4, 5, 6, 7, 15, 18 and 19, 116-6, 118-3 and 4, 124-1, 2 and 3, 126-8, 10 and 11 for footage showing 12th Corps' formations in action near Villers- Bocage, in the Orne bridge-head at Goupillieres and during the advance towards Falaise. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 113-15, 126-8 and 11 for footage showing the 53rd Division in action and A70 118-3 and 4 for material taken at the bridge crossing over the Orne at Goupillieres. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 111-5 and 113-15 and 18.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: