THE 59TH (STAFFORDSHIRE) DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN, ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 59TH (STAFFORDSHIRE) DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN, ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 72-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: The 1/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment undergoes its baptism of fire during 197th Brigade's assault on St Contest.
- Description: Riflemen from the battalion's 'D' company advance in extended order through waist-high wheat from Les Buissons towards St Contest; two infantrymen, one carrying a 2-inch mortar, crawl through the wheat as they come under fire. Riflemen advance towards their objective past an M10 Wolverine SPG from 62nd Anti-Tank Regiment RA's 248th Battery; the infantrymen with the 2-inch mortar crouches low in the wheat, waiting to move on. Filming behind a burnt-out Canadian Sherman ex-DD tank, the cameraman observes elements of 'D' company advancing towards a low ridge. An officer with a PIAT slung over his shoulders and stretcher bearers are seen accompanying the advance. Two Shermans from the East Riding Yeomanry's 'A' squadron HQ troop are seen halted below another low ridge; another Sherman races along the ridge itself to avoid anti-tank and mortar fire while infantrymen around the two tanks take cover. Two universal carriers from 68th Anti-Tank Regiment RA's 298th Battery (minus their 6-pounder guns) move up with the infantry past a Sherman.
- Access Conditions: IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film Unit (Production company) Watkins, R V (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Caen, Calvados, France (geography) Saint Contest, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 91 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: See with A70 72-4, 5, 7, 9; 73-1, 3; 74-1; 75-1; 76-2; 77-1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8; 78-3 for footage showing 59th (Staffordshire) Division in action during "Charnwood". A70 72-7 and Part (1) of the synopsis in A70 75-1 form parts 2 and 3 of Sergeant Watkins coverage of the attack on St Contest. The wrecked Canadian DD tank from their Fort Garry Horse's 'B' or 'C' squadron was possibly destroyed 9th-12th June 1944. Excellent action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 72-5, 7; 75-1 which contain virtually identical, complementary footage shot during 197th Brigade's assault on St Contest. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography refer to the publications listed in A70 71-3, 72-3, 4, 5. See also 'Vanguard: The Fort Garry Horse in the Second World War' by the Regiment.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: