THE 3RD DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 5) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 3RD DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 5) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 73-4
- Other titles:
- Summary: 33rd Armoured Brigade moves up to 3rd Division's front for the assault on Caen.
- Description: A universal carrier and a DR (despatch rider) bound for Point 64 overtake a stationary column of Shermans from 144th RAC's 'A' squadron on the Caen-Bieville road at Lebisey Wood (?); visible among the tanks is a Humber III light reconnaissance car belonging to the 3rd Reconnaissance Regiment. At Bieville (?) jeep ambulances from 233rd Field Ambulance RAMC rush casualties from 185th Brigade's front to an ADS. A Stuart III light tank from 144th RAC's recce troop motors past Sherman tanks, parked along the roadside at Bieville (?) where a tank officer is seen supervising the flow of traffic. A casualty being ferried to an ADS on board a universal carrier from the 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry's support company gives a 'V-for-Victory' sign to the cameraman. A Humber scout car leads a Sherman from 144th RAC's 'A' Squadron along the Caen-Bieville road. Sherman gun and OP tanks from 144th RAC's RHQ troop and 153rd Field Regiment RA pass a universal carrier heading in the opposite direction as they motor through Lebisey.
- Access Conditions: IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film Unit (Production company) Walter, Ernest Henry1919Family origin: Barry, Glamorgan, South Wales (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Lebisey, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 113 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: See with A70 71-3 to 5, 9; 72-3, 4, 8, 9; 73-1 to 3; 74-2, 3; 75-2 to 5; 76-1, 3; 77-2 to 4, 6, 8 for footage showing 3rd Division in action during "Charnwood". Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné footage listed above, notably A70 73-2 which contain similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 71-3,5 and 73-1.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: