FOOTBALL MATCH IN KUALA LUMPUR: BRITISH ARMY VERSUS PROFESSIONALS [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: FOOTBALL MATCH IN KUALA LUMPUR: BRITISH ARMY VERSUS PROFESSIONALS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 572
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Sir Edward Gent, recently installed Governor of the Malayan Union, watches a football match between the British Army and a visiting team of professional footballers, at the Royal Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaya.
- Description: Wide shot of spectators at the padang at the Royal Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur. Half-time display by the pipe band of 1st Battalion 11th Sikh Regiment. High wide shot of the game in progress. Sir Edward Gent meets Lieutenant-General Messervy and Air Vice-Marshal Breakey. Medium close-up of Gent, Messervy and Breakey. The professional team is introduced to Gent. The British Army team is introduced. The team captains call the toss. VIP spectators on the touchline; Gent is flanked by Messervy and Breakey. Souvenir pewter mugs are presented to the players after the game.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1946-04-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Clark, Paul Stuart1926-07-24 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Messervy, Frank Walter (person) Breakey, John Denis (person) Gent, Edward James (person) Indian Army, 11th Sikh Regiment, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) British Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Kuala Lumpur, Malaya (geography) Formation of the Malayan Union 1946 (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 250 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Apparently this was Gent's first public appearance since his installation as Governor of the Malayan Union. For footage of Gent's arrival in Kuala Lumpur, see related items. Cameraman's dopesheet gives the attendance as 15,000 and that despite a heavy pitch (due to torrential rain that morning) the visitors (the professionals) won the game 9-4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 568 (ARRIVAL OF SIR EDWARD GENT, GOVERNOR OF THE MALAYAN UNION, IN KUALA LUMPUR [Allocated Title])