SIR MILES DEMPSEY VISITS 5TH ROYAL GURKHA RIFLES AT BANDOENG [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: SIR MILES DEMPSEY VISITS 5TH ROYAL GURKHA RIFLES AT BANDOENG [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 574
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Sir Miles Dempsey, the soon-to-be-departing commander of Allied Land Forces South East Asia (ALFSEA), pays a farewell visit to the 3rd Battalion 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles at Bandoeng in Java, Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia).
- Description: Dempsey at the salute; pan to guard of honour with bugler playing. He inspects the guard. Dempsey with Lieutenant-Colonel Sanders, commanding officer of 3rd Battalion 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles. Brigadier Wingrove (Brigadier General Staff XV Indian Corps) and Major-General Hawthorn, commander 23rd Indian Division. Wingrove, Sanders, Dempsey and Hawthorn.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1946-04-04
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Pickering, W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Dempsey, Miles Christopher (person) Hawthorn, Douglas Cyril (person) Wingrove, Norman Douglas (person) Indian Army, 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles, 3rd Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Bandoeng, Java, Netherlands East Indies (geography) Allied Occupation of the Netherlands East Indies, Allied Occupation of South East Asia post-August 1945 (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 75 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Shortly after this visit Dempsey left south east Asia in order to take up a new appointment as Commander-in-Chief Middle East. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: