- Title: RETURN OF MALAYA'S VICTORY CONTINGENT [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 653
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: At Singapore, the Cunard White Star liner RMS Mauretania arrives carrying members of the Malayan and South East Asia Victory Contingents, and a parade is mounted through the streets.
- Description: At Clifford Pier the Governor of Singapore, Sir Franklin Gimson, delivers a speech. Naval contingent on parade. Gimson leaving; a glimpse is had of Lieutenant-General Sir Montagu Stopford (Acting Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia) and Rear-Admiral Egerton (Flag Officer Malaya) following behind. Air Marshal Sir George Pirie with Egerton. A pipe band leading the parade crosses a bridge. Victory contingent follows. Civilian crowd following behind. More shots, quite impressive, of the victory contingent. Uniformed (Chinese?) men on a lorry with banner in Chinese; a flag appears to be marked CVOA. The victory contingent seen from the front of a moving vehicle. Good views of the RMS Mauretania approaching the quay with people waving from the boat deck. Smoking aft funnel. Spectators on quay. Dockers attend to a mooring line. Name 'Mauretania' on stern. Passengers disembarking. Victory contingent disembarking. Egerton arriving at Clifford Pier Stopford arriving. Gimson arriving. Gimson receiving a salute. He inspects the assembled contingent.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period:
- Production Date: 1946-07-13
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Brown, S T (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Stopford, Montagu George North (person) Gimson, Franklin Charles (person) Pirie, George Clark (person) Egerton, Henry Jack (person) South East Asia Command (regiment/service) Civilian Vessels, MAURETANIA (RMS) (1938) (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Singapore (geography) Post-war Malaya 1945-1948 (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 478 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: This contingent had marched in London as part of a massive Victory Parade held on 8 June 1946.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 654 (RETURN OF MALAYA'S VICTORY CONTINGENT [Allocated Title])