I.C. ENGINE - PRINCIPLES OF THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: I.C. ENGINE - PRINCIPLES OF THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE [Main Title]
- Film Number: AMY 223
- Other titles:
- Summary: Detailed instructional film focusing on the principes of the internal combustion engine.
- Description: Reel 1: “In 1862 the first 4 stroke internal combustion engine was made. Since then, civilization has become dependent upon its applications.” Description of the workings of a IC engine. “Heat and Work” - basic demos of how heat expands air. “The 4-Stroke Cycle” - animated diagram explaining how 4-stroke engine works. Reel 2: “Elements of the 4-Stroke Engine” Cutaway model of engine used to demonstrate workings of engine and valves. Workings of carburettor. “Mechanical Construction” - 9 cylinder aero engine cutaway model used for demonstration of the parts of the engine working in unison Reel 3: “Valve Timing” - as title, “Valve Timing Effect of The Weight of the Mixture”, mixture lag explained. Valve timing explained. “Valve Operation Time-Lag”, “Valve Timing – Inlet Opens”, “Inlet Closes”, “Exhaust Opens”, “Exhaust Closes”, “Circular Timing Diagram”, Reel 4: “Carburation” - MkI Hurricane ground running. Basic carburettor explained. “The Float Chamber” - explanation of the workings of the float chamber. “The Choke Tube” - Venturi Effect demonstrated on an induction pipe. Reel 5: “Ignition Part One” - ignition system explained. Induction Coil – effects of magnetic fields and production of current. Reel 6: “Ignition Part Two”. Effects of primary and secondary coils. “The 2-Stroke Cycle” - description of the operation of a 2-stroke engine. Reel 7: “Cooling” - Air or liquid cooling for aero engines. Example of addition of fins to model of a cylinder to demonstrate improved cooling. “Liquid Cooling – Thermo-siphon system” - diagram of liquid cooled engine. Diagram of radiator. “Aero Engine Cooling System” - cutaway engine to show cooling system. Reel 8: “Supercharging – Altitude and Engine Power” (G-AFHI) Tiger Moth taking off. Graph showing fall off of power as altitude increases. Atmospheric pressure explained. Use of supercharger to increase air pressure. “The Boost Gauge” - explained. “Mechanical Construction” - explained. “Two Speed Supercharger and Boost Control” - explained. Reel 9: “The Claudel-Hobson Carburettor” - Various devices fitted to carburettors to compensate for operating under varying flight conditions. “Main Fuel Metering System” - diagram of diffuser tube in operation. “Power Jet” - explanation of power jet. “Idling System” - Slow running jet explained. “Accelerator Pump” - explained. Flat spot explained. Reel 11: “Mixture Control” - compensating for mixture strength at higher altitude using diagram. “Carburettor Construction” - sectioned carburettor /diagram to explain. “The Pressure Balance system of Mixture Control” - explained. “Taper Needle Mixture Control” - explained.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1937
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Royal Air Force (Production sponsor) British Thomson-Houston (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 10
- Notes: Content: Reel 10 was not acquired with the other reels and has not yet been acquired.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: