- Title: BOMB HANDLING: FUZING AND LOADING PART 1 [Main Title]
- Film Number: AMY 645
- Other titles:
- Summary: Instructional film focusing on bomb handling techiques. This film focusing on fuzing and loading.
- Description: Reel 1: “Medium Bombs – Loading onto Lorries, Eagle Trailers and Railway Trucks at Maintenance Units.” Various handling methods for loading and transporting bombs. “Off Loading and Stacking at RAF Operational Units” - correct procedures for unloading and storing bombs. Reel 2: “Loading and Off Loading Trolleys in Bomb Stores” - handling bombs from storage bay onto trolley and importance of chocking bombs. Use of roller chocks to position bomb correctly. Returning bombs to bay and unloading procedure. Reel 3: “Fuzing 1000lb M.C. Bomb with Long Delay Pistol” - No.53 pistol fuze description and checking procedure prior to fitting. Replacing vane in tail. Mark bomb with red paint to indicate it is fuzed (i.e. FZD LD 53). Reel 4: “Loading 1000lb M.C. Bomb, Fuzed Long Delay, to Lancaster Aircraft” - safety checks and procedures for loading bombs onto Lancaster Reel 5: “Off Loading 1000lb M.C. Bomb Fuzed Long Delay from Lancaster Aircraft” - safety checks and procedures for off loading bombs from Lancaster. Reel 6: “Clusters and Target Indicating Bombs - Loading onto Lorries, Eagle Trailers and Railway Trucks at Maintenance Units”. Procedure for loading cluster bombs to lorries and railway trucks. “Field Cluster Storage Area Handling Procedure” - layout of field storage area. Process for unloading and handling bombs. Reverse procedure for returning cluster bomb to storage. Reel 7: Unloading and handling cluster bombs for storage inside hangars. Procedure for adding tail fin and fuzing cluster bomb. Reel 8: “Preparation and Fuzing” - removing protective covers, adding tail and fuzing cluster bomb. Reel 9: “Loading Clusters to Lancaster Aircraft” - preparation of aircraft prior to loading with cluster bombs. Safety precautions taken before loading. Method of winching bombs into bomb bay. Setting various bomb release controls. Reel 10: “Off Loading Clusters from Lancaster Aircraft” - process for off loading cluster bombs. Isolation of controls/connections prior to off loading. “Target Indicating Bombs – Preparation and Fuzing” - storage, handling and movement of bombs to Mosquito aircraft. Fuzing of bombs in Fuzing Shed. Fitting tail fin. Reel 11: “Loading 1000lb T.1. Bomb to Mosquito Aircraft” - procedure for preparing A/C for loading bombs, process of loading bombs. “Off Loading 1000lb T.1. Bomb from Mosquito Aircraft” - procedure for off loading bombs. (GB•P PF49? Mosquito 105 sqdn). Reel 12: “Bomb Handling, Fuzing and Loading, Part 7” - Inspection before removal from Fuzing Shed – Bombs” - check fuze safety pins, ensure bombs securely sat on trolley, suspension lugs for damage. “Clusters” - fuzes, tail unit, suspension lugs. “Mines” - check fuzes, parachute etc. “Method Of Storing Bombs Fuzed Long Delay” - stored away from other bombs. Remove tail cone and fit red transit base if required. Stacking method. “Bomb Dump Equipment – Portable and Improvised” - chevron track described, wooden tracks, portable roller conveyors, stands, gantries described, portable ramps, bomb dolly. “Correct Use Of Stacking Trucks” - correct operation of stacking (forklift) trucks.
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: ROYAL AIR FORCE ()
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 12 Footage: 6950ft; Running time: 77 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
AMY 54 (BOMB HANDLING [Main Title])