- Title: PARACHUTE JUMPING [Main Title]
- Film Number: AMY 156
- Other titles:
- Summary: Training film focusing on parachute jumping.
- Description: Reel one: “Part 1 – Aperture and door exits – Section 1 Aperture exits”: Students on practice 'rig' learning correct body position for exiting aircraft via aperture (belly hatch). Next with parachute pack on to ensure pack does not foul on exiting aircraft. “Section II – Swinging in and making an exit”: Correct method of positioning body and hands for “stick” exits from belly aperture. Demonstation of wrong position prior to exit and effect on chute deployment (twisted lines). Ensure strap does not foul feet when jumping in “sticks”. Aperture jumping is roughly the same from Whitley, Wellington, Halifax, Stirling and Lancaster. Reel two: “Part I Section III – Door Exits”: Exiting aircraft via side door – procedure and correct postioning at aircraft door to ensure clean exit. Part II – “Control in the air”: Section I - “Twists in rigging lines. Feet in rigging lines” - Dealing with twisted lines – use of legs/feet to help untwist lines. Dealing with entangled legs or arms and how to free yourself from lines. Happy Landings! Reel three: Part II “Oscillation, Damping, Turning” Explanation of the cause and effects of oscillation and how to counter the effect, known as “damping” - methid to turn in order to see where you are going. Part III – Sect I “The forward landing” - Correct body position for forward landing and correct body roll position to prevent injury. Reel four: Part III Sect II – “The Sideways Landing” - Correct body position for sideways landings and demo of incorrect landings. Part III Section III - “The Backward Landing” - Correct body position for backwards landing with demo of the incorrect landings. Summary of the three types of landings, forward, sideways and backwards.
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: ROYAL AIR FORCE (Production sponsor) Signet Pictures Corporation Ltd (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 4 Length: 3078ft
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
AMY 155 (MORE PARACHUTE JUMPING [Main Title])