THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 75-5
- Other titles:
- Description: Two men (one an AFPU photographer) inspect an abandoned 21st Panzer Division PzKpfw IV Ausf G Tank outside Lebisey. The cameraman surveys the Schneider steelworks on the east bank of the Orne at Les Colombelles. Two Shermans and a Humber scout car (144th RAC's HQ squadron) motor through Lebisey past an AFPU Humber heavy utility. Shermans (144th RAC's RHQ troop and 'A' or 'C' Squadron) bound for Couvre-Chef deploy near the wrecked German tank; the tanks are dwarfed by the Schneider steelworks one huge German OP looming sinisterly in the background. A Churchill AVRE troop (5th Assault Regiment RE) bound for Caen dashes through Lebisey. Officers (9th Brigade and 1st Corps HQ) enter Caen, whose ruins the cameraman surveys; note the large explosion (German bridge demolitions on the Orne ?) and the intact Abbaye aux Hommes. Two Resistance leaders, Captain Leonard Gilles (head of the Resistance in Calvados) and M Daure (Gaullist Prefect of the Calvados region) greet the British officers; Major Stewart, officer commanding No. 5 AFPS (Army Film and Photographic Section), talks to M Daure. Civilians scramble out of a huge bomb crater. The cameraman surveys the bombed-out Château de Caen (where an inscription detailing its history has survived) and St Pierre church (minus its spire). Civilians greet a 1st KOSB infantry section as it marches by.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Goddard, J H (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 371 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 71-3 to 5, 9, 72-4, 9, 73-1 to 4, 74-2, 3, 75-3 to 4, 78-1, 3, 77-2 to 6, 7 for footage showing 3rd Division in action during "Charnwood". Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of cine material listed above, notably A70 75-2, 3 and 4 which contain similar, complementary footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: