PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Title: PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 19-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: A transit camp and a minor road are made ready for the reception of troops and vehicles prior to the build-up for D-Day.
- Description: I. The camera examines empty accommodation and stores tents (those erected away from the cover of trees under camouflage netting), a latrine and signs pointing to a lecture cinema and NAAFI tent in Z.19 transit camp built by the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. Men serving with the Fusiliers and US Army service troops struggle with guy ropes and large wooden pole frames to erect a marquee tent. II. Sections of the B3055 Beaulieu-Brockenhurst road in the New Forest are seen ready for use by heavy military traffic after having the width increased by the addition of an eight foot wide concrete strip.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-05-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Evans, L J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) United States Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: buildings, British - military: Z.19 transit camp (object name) engineering, civilian, British: road widening (object name) operations, Allied military - routine: erecting marquee tent (object name) operations, British military - preparation: D-Day (object name) society, British military - domestic: Z.19 transit camp (object name) GB, England & Southampton, Hants <Z.19 transit camp> (geography) GB, England & Hants <B3055 Beaulieu-Brockenhurst road> (geography) GB, England & Hants <New Forest> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 281 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Summary: filmed for production 'X'. See with A70 9-1, 2, 17-1 to 3, 19-1, 2, 4, 5 for footage showing road improvement work etc. Part I of the summary was filmed on 10-11/5/1944, part II on 12/5/1944. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 19-1 which contains complementary footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: