THE ROYAL MARINES IN CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA, FOR THE CAPE MARCH 1994 (EDITED HIGHLIGHTS) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE ROYAL MARINES IN CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA, FOR THE CAPE MARCH 1994 (EDITED HIGHLIGHTS) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6723
- Other titles: ROYAL NAVY VIDEOS: 1990s [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Edited highlights of the Royal Marine Commando team taking part in the Cape March (Kaapse Mars) 1994, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Description: (Tape 1) Royal Marines, in South Africa for the Cape March, visit South African colleagues at Simonstown naval base and the South African Navy Diving School (Sa Vloot se Duikskool). Interviews with participants: Lieutenant Tim Cook, Lieutenant Richard Reardon, Captain Ronan Forster and Corporal "Nige" Parkin and Steve Matthias. Black South African troops dressed in "Kaapse Mars 94" t-shirts dance. Large gun is fired and the march sets off. Shots of the march in progress in hillside: pausing for refreshment. Further interviews with Nige Parkin and others. Physiotherapy at end of first day. (Tape 2) Further physiotherapy on the team members' feet and legs before the march recommences. Marchers by the coast. As the teams arrive back in Cape Town, a band plays. Interview with captain. Plaques are handed out to the Royal Marines participants. Interview with Nige Parkin. Photocall and more soundbites from Marines. Tape ends with a separate sequence showing aerial shots of Cape Town and the surrounding mountainous area.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6723)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1994
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 30; Running time: 56 mins
- Notes: Summary: the Cape March is an annual two day event, in which teams of walkers have to cover a distance of 75km over two days.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: