SCENES ONBOARD HMS JUPITER AND BATTLEAXE IN THE GULF [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: SCENES ONBOARD HMS JUPITER AND BATTLEAXE IN THE GULF [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6383
- Other titles: THE ROYAL NAVY IN THE GULF, 1990-1991 [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes on the flightdeck and in the engine room of HMS Jupiter and general scenes on HMS Battleaxe.
- Description: I. HMS Jupiter. Flightdeck crew sit by the guardrail - they spring into action at the cameraman's behest. Lynx runs up. MS profile of FDO in headset - GPMG on pedestal mount in background. FDO signals take off and the helicopter climbs away. Break. LA as Lynx 443 approaches from the port side, aligns on the flightdeck, and lands on. Break. Deck crew check aircraft. CU of the pilot at the controls as the windscreen is washed down. Engine started. FDO looks about. Aircraft takes off. II. HMS Battleaxe. Sequence showing Weapon Engineer Mechanic Paul Taylor hosing down the Exocet launchers on the forecastle - Taylor wears a Rambo-style headband. Mats have been spread over the containers and he soaks them thoroughly so that subsequent evaporation will help cool the equipment. The cameraman prompts Taylor as he films, and a photographer is also at work. LS from eyes of the ship to Exocet and Sea Wolf launchers and bridge. Break. CU sequence as a rating mops his brow, fits body of GPMG to AA pedestal mount, then fits gas piston and bolt assembly and return spring. CU of man closed up on pedestal mounted visual aiming sight - as he scans he talks to the ops room through a headset. Break. ABs 'Fez' Parker and 'Wiggy' Bennett, wearing helmets and anti-flash, man the starboard BMARC twin 30mm AA mounting. They train the gun and one drinks from a plastic water container. CU of trainer looking fixedly skyward - at end of shot he is prompted to look right (ie into profile) and pulls the anti-flash clear of his face. CU as man dons helmet, mans and trains starboard 20mm GAM-B01 Oerlikon. III. Interior of Machinery Control Room (ie engine room) on HMS Jupiter - two MEMs at the engine control panel adjust air operated valves. CU of dials on the board. Cut to two ratings in the boiler room - both wearing ear protectors - one stands in front of the central control panel adjusting the turbo blower valves over his head, the other retires for a break. Rating jots down readings from a panel and makes minor adjustments. Two hanging pots of multi-coloured petunias add a touch of gaiety to the compartment. CU of engine-room telegraph reading 'Half Ahead'. Flashing light and chime signals a change. CUs of the rating off watch, drinking a mug of tea - he is sweating profusely.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6383)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1990-08-19
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Taylor, Paul (person) Parker, Fez (person) Bennett, Wiggy (person) Royal Navy, Jupiter (regiment/service) Royal Navy, BATTLEAXE (HMS), frigate (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - frigate: Jupiter (object name) ships, British naval - frigate: Battleaxe (object name) aircraft, British naval - helicopter: Westland Lynx (object name) weapons, British naval - gun: 30mm BMARC GCM-A03 (object name) weapons, British naval - gun: 20mm BMARC GAM-B01 (object name) weapons, British naval - smallarm (mounted): 7.62mm GPMG (object name) weapons, British naval - missile: Exocet (object name) equipment, British naval - propulsion (object name) equipment, British naval - surveillance (object name) 12/7(536.8) (event) Persian Gulf (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 1
- Notes: Summary: photographs of Taylor and Parker and Bennett, taken by PO(phot) Stuart Antrobus, appeared in the 'Navy News' for October 1990. Technical: VHS copy also held.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: