FIRST LORD OF THE ADMIRALTY VISITS MEDITERRANEAN FLEET [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: FIRST LORD OF THE ADMIRALTY VISITS MEDITERRANEAN FLEET [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 1441
- Other titles: POST-WAR NAVAL OPERATIONS - MISCELLANEOUS [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: First Lord of the Admiralty J P L Thomas visits the Mediterranean Fleet, September 1953.
- Description: (Part 1) First Lord arrives at NATO HQ, Floriana, Malta, shakes hands with Admiral Mountbatten and meets officers inside. Visit to HMS St Angelo, Malta: shakes hands with CO, inspects Guard of Honour, ship's company and WRENs. (Part 2) First Lord visits RNAS Hal Far, where he meets CO Captain (P) R M Smeeton and officers and makes inspections. (Part 3) First Lord arrives with Admiral Mountbatten onboard HMS Glasgow, greets the Chief of Staff and Captain B Bryant, and inspects Royal Marine Guard of Honour and Band before retiring below. Address to officers and men of Glasgow. (Part 4) Firing of 17-gun salute. First Lord seen in C-in-C Med's barge, inspecting RM Guard of Honour and ship's companies of Theseus and Gambia during visit to Theseus at Navarrin Bay, Greece (also inspecting aircraft on Flight Deck). (Part 5) HMS Theseus: First Lord salutes guns, inspects and addresses ship's company. Ship's personnel: Captain D McIver Russell, Commander Hunt, the famous pipers. Aircraft on Flight Deck run up, catapult off and land on. (Part 6) The Med Fleet's annual regatta at Navarrin Bay and showing racing whalers of the ships of the Med. First Lord and secretary watch with Admiral Mountbatten, Rear-Admiral Power, Rear-Admiral R G Onslow and Sir John Lang from the C-in-C's barge. The tote; "chuckers up", a racing crew rowing around Glasgow. First Lord gives away prizes on Quarterdeck of Glasgow (Cock of the Fleet is HMS Surprise). Fleet witnessed by First Lord, Mountbatten, Rear-Admirals Power, Davis and Norris and other officers. First Lord leaves wardroom, greets R-A Davis; they pass RM Guard of Honour and First Lord is piped over side. (Part 7) Heavy ships regatta at Marsaxlokk Bay, Malta. Ships present and/or taking part are HMS Glasgow, Gambia, Forth, Totem, Bermuda, Ranpura and Fleet Tugs Brigand and Marauder. Winner HMS Glasgow declared "Cock of the Heavy Ships". C-in-C Med and Lady Mountbatten arrive. September 18 1953: First Lord arrives at Luqa Airport accompanied by Sir John Lang, Naval Secretary to First Lord, Rear-Admiral R G Onslow and A P Hockaday (Private Secretary). Upon leaving aircraft he shakes hands with AOC Air Vice Marshal B V Reynolds and Admiral Mountbatten and greets others. He also takes salute and inspects RAF Guard of Honour: Officer of the Guard is Flight Lieutenant Raynalds. (Part 8) First Lord arrives at Greek Naval Training Establishment, Scaramanga; He inspects Greek Band and Guard and is introduced to Greek naval officers. Tour includes visit to Gunnery Training buildings, Seamanship School, Signalling School; afterwards he departs by car for docks.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1953-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Bryant, Benjamin (person) Davis, William W (person) Hockaday, A P (person) Hunt (Commander) (person) Lang, John G (person) Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Mountbatten, Edwina (Countess) (person) Norris, Charles Fred Wivell (person) Onslow, Richard George (person) Power, Manley Laurence (person) Raynalds (Flight Lieutenant) (person) Reynolds, B V (person) McIver Russell, D (person) Smeeton, R M (person) Thomas, J P L (person) Royal Navy, BERMUDA (HMS) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, FORTH (HMS), submarine depot ship (regiment/service) Royal Navy, GAMBIA (HMS), light cruiser (regiment/service) Royal Navy, GLASGOW (HMS), light cruiser (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Ranpura (regiment/service) Royal Navy, St Angelo (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Surprise (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Theseus (regiment/service) Royal Navy, TOTEM (HMS) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Brigand (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Marauder (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Women's Royal Naval Service (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Royal Marines (regiment/service) Royal Hellenic Navy & [Naval Training School] (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, light: Theseus (object name) ships, British naval - assistance: Brigand (object name) ships, British naval - assistance: Marauder (object name) ships, British naval - communications: Surprise (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Bermuda (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Gambia (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Glasgow (object name) ships, British naval - harbour: Forth (object name) ships, British naval - harbour: Ranpura (object name) ships, British naval - submarine: Totem (object name) delegations, British international - military (object name) delegations, British national - military (object name) operations, British naval - routine (object name) operations, British naval air - routine (object name) operations, Greek naval - routine (object name) recreation, British naval - sport: regatta (object name) training, Greek naval (object name) Greece & Navarrin Bay, (geography) Greece & Scaramanga, <Greek Naval Training Establishment> (geography) Malta & Hal Far <RNAS Station> (geography) Malta & Floriana <NATO headquarters> (geography) Malta & Luqa <airport> (geography) Malta & Marsaxlokk Bay (geography)
- Physical Characteristics:
- Technical Details:
- Notes: Summary: film has not been viewed - information is taken from CNI records.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: