OPERATION HAVEN, TURKEY AND NORTHERN IRAQ, 1991: SCENES AT KURDISH REFUGEE CAMP [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: OPERATION HAVEN, TURKEY AND NORTHERN IRAQ, 1991: SCENES AT KURDISH REFUGEE CAMP [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6464
- Other titles: THE ROYAL NAVY IN THE GULF, 1990-1991 [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Rough compilation of shots of large Kurdish refugee camp, possibly Cukurca in Turkey (on the Iraqi border).
- Description: Aerial shots of the huge refugee camp, showing myriads of makeshift tents, are followed by ground shots of soldiers on patrol outside the camp escorting civilian observers. Casualty is received in tented field hospital. Mother washes a baby with a feeding tube in its nose; the baby is then weighed. More injured arrive at the hospital. In the camp, refugees queue for water; general views of the camp form the ground. In the hospital, more injured are treated. Doctor is interviewed, and discusses dehydration (the major problem) and the desires of many of the refugees to return to their villages after the Iraqi troops have been repelled. Aid worker is also interviewed about the effort to supply water. Kurdish refugee is interviewed (through interpreter) about the situation in his village. Further views of the camp and brief interviews with refugees.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6464)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1991-04
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 30
- Notes: Summary: Operation Haven (also known as Operation Safe Haven) took place in Turkey and Northern Iraq in the aftermath of the 1991 Gulf War. After Saddam Hussein crushed the Kurdish uprising in Northern Iraq, some 450,000 Kurds fled to the mountains of Turkey. The mission of the multinational force involved was to resettle the Kurdish refugees in their own towns and villages, and to offer them protection during the return. Technical: labelled "Dub" and labelled "AMADIA", implying location as Al-Amadiyah, although footage contained within suggests Cukurca - cf aerial and medical sequences in ADM 6461). Tape is also labelled "Kate" and "Nigel Bateson" appear on the labels, suggesting that this compilation may have been put together for BBC use (Nigel was a BBC cameraman).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: