- Title: AIR DAY 1992, RNAS YEOVILTON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6951
- Other titles: COLLECTION OF TAPES FROM ROYAL MARINES, LYMPSTONE [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes from the displays at RNAS Yeovilton for Airday 1992.
- Description: (Tape 1) I. Air Day rehearsal, 17 July: aerial shots of RNAS Yeovilton shot from Sea King helicopter. Air-to-air shots of Sea King and Gazelle helicopters. Troops disembark from helicopter; Sea Kings airlift vehicles. General views of interior of Sea King and aerial shots of display field, RNAS Yeovilton and surrounding countryside. II. Displays at the Air Day proper, including Lynx (from HMS Gloucester) and EH101 Merlin helicopters in action. (Snatches of commentary from the public address system can be heard.) Historical flight: Fairey Firefly and Soviet light aircraft. Sea Harrier takes off from "ski jump" ramp and hovers. (Tape 2) III. Sea Harrier aircraft in action, and general views of the display area with Sea King and 105mm gun underslung. Main item is a Commando assault demonstration, in which "Sophia Snogoften" is kidnapped from her car by "terrorists" who take her to a mock-up of a castle. Mass flight of helicopters bring Commandos and artillery in for the "rescue" - much smoke and fire as Land Rovers are brought in and artillery "ranging shots" are fired at the castle. Finally the Commandos go in and rescue Miss Snogoften - "a successful mission". Display ends with flypast of helicopters and various vehicles driving away.
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1992-07-17
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details:
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: U-matic Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 20; Running time: 40 mins (ca)
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 6926 (ROYAL NAVY PR FILMS TRAILER 1989 [Allocated Title])