INTERVIEWS WITH THE CAPTAIN AND CREW OF HMS JUPITER IN THE GULF [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: INTERVIEWS WITH THE CAPTAIN AND CREW OF HMS JUPITER IN THE GULF [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6381
- Other titles: THE ROYAL NAVY IN THE GULF, 1990-1991 [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Commander Wright is interviewed. Crewmen send messages home.
- Description: LS Gough sends regards to his wife Carol, and "Hope she recognises me with me beard shaved off." LS Baxter send regards to Karen and mum and dad. LS Tim Rampton is more ambitious - Ron, Jean and Paul, Nick, Belinda and Andrew and all other relatives in Basingstoke, and Marie Robbins, his fiancée. AB Butler - Mum, his two sisters and Rose and the family, gran and grandad, and all his mates back home. Cut to interior of pleasant cabin where suave Commander Wright explains Jupiter's role in the Gulf. The ship is not "tense", and people at home should not worry about the crew more than usual. Although Jupiter is 21 years old she is holding up well, with good serviceability and availability. Co-ordination with foreign navies is going well, "even the Australians". The crew have grown accustomed to working defence watches. Wright is optimistic about going home on time. Cut to Lieutenant Jesterman, Flight Observer - a young man who sends a message to his wife. Lieutenant Peter Tomlin sends a message to Dawn his wife and Pollyanna, his daughter of seven months. Leading Steward Elliott sends a message to his wife and daughter Laura - he declines the offer of a repeat take. Chief radio technician Phil Askey says hello to his children Dean and Carla, and his wife Claire. Medical Assistant Paul Wickers sends greetings to his wife, his daughter Rebecca, and the rest of the family.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6381)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1990
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company) Cutler, David (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Wright, J W T (person) Gough (Leading Seaman) (person) Baxter (Leading Seaman) (person) Rampton, Timothy (person) Butler (Able Seaman) (person) Elliott, D J (person) Askey, Philip (person) Wickers, Paul E (person) Royal Navy, Jupiter (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - frigate: Jupiter (object name) 12/7(536.8) (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP; VHS Number of items/reels/tapes: 1
- Notes: Remarks: the crew of Jupiter are hardly the 'video generation': most are painfully inarticulate before the camera. The exception is the easy and accomplished Commander Wright. The passing reference to a lost beard originates in an order for the removal of full sets to ensure a close fit for anti-gas respirators.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: