- Title: SUPREMO VISITS RANGOON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 276
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: The Supreme Allied Commander of South East Asia Command, Lord Louis Mountbatten, makes a tour of inspection of Rangoon, the recently liberated capital of Burma.
- Description: Mountbatten's car arrives at Government House in Rangoon. He inspects the guard before entering the building with Lieutenant-General Stopford, commander of 12th Army. At a Royal Navy barracks a Royal Marine guard of honour salutes Mountbatten. A White Ensign flies from a flagpole. Mountbatten takes the salute and inspects the guard. High angle looking down over a parade ground as Mountbatten inspects a parade. The parade breaks formation to gather around Mountbatten, who addresses them. Mountbatten's car leaving the barracks; the gates are marked 'St Paul's Institution' and a sign reads 'HM Barracks - HMS Chinthe'. Mountbatten's car arrives at Rangoon docks. He is received at the gate by a guard of honour and by an unnamed Lieutenant-Colonel who has 'Burma' on his epaulette. Mountbatten meets members of the Port Executive Committee, accompanied by Major-General Symes, commander South Burma District. Pioneer Companies, Dock Operating and Transport Companies on parade on the dockside. Symes talks with Rear Admiral Sir Cyril Douglas-Pennant, Mountbatten's Chief Naval Staff officer. Mountbatten inspecting. A Red Ensign flying from the mast of a berthed merchant ship. Mountbatten on the dockside; camera pans to show wreckage from Allied bombing of Rangoon docks. View of a street with lashing monsoon rain. Mountbatten's car drives away through the rain.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-07-15
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Hogg, Ralph D (Captain) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Stopford, Montagu George North (person) Symes, George William (person) British Army, 12th Army (regiment/service) South East Asia Command (regiment/service) Royal Navy, CHINTHE (HMS), shore establishment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Rangoon, Burma (geography) Liberation of Rangoon 1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 440 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: For more material depicting Rangoon docks, see related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 250 (SCENES FOLLOWING LIBERATION OF RANGOON AND VIEWS OF RANGOON DOCKS [Allocated Title]) JFU 297 (USE OF FLOATING DOCKS AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) ABY 125 (THE RAF IN RANGOON [Allocated Title])