TASK FORCE AT ASCENSION ISLAND AND EN ROUTE FOR FALKLANDS [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: TASK FORCE AT ASCENSION ISLAND AND EN ROUTE FOR FALKLANDS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 4830
- Other titles: FALKLANDS CONFLICT [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: RFA Stromness en route to the South Atlantic; scenes at the anchorage at Ascension Island.
- Description: Sir Percival comes alongside the camera ship (probably RFA Stromness) and replenishment activities begin. On the other side a type 21 frigate comes alongside. At Ascension Island, various shots show the task force fleet at anchor with much ferrying of supplies by helicopters. Marines shin down ropes from Sea King helicopters on to the deck of Canberra (at Ascension between 21/4/1982 and 23/4/1982). More shots show the anchorage at Ascension. Various activities take place on deck (on Stromness?) en route to the Falklands: circuit training, exercises, rifle practice, prisoner of war interrogation training (a sign can be seen saying "Don't get captured"). The camera ship comes alongside Pearleaf for refuelling.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 4830)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1982-04
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) (Production company) Fletcher, James (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 16mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 1033 ft; Running time: 29 mins
- Notes: Summary: footage was received with no documentation and little identification. Information is partly based on the recollections of fellow DPR(N) cameraman, Alan Fowler, in 1993. (See note to ADM 4821). Technical: the original camera rolls of this and the previous reel (ADM 4829) are clearly not in the correct order.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: