SCENES ON BOARD RFA ARGUS EN ROUTE TO CROATIA, NOVEMBER 1992 [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: SCENES ON BOARD RFA ARGUS EN ROUTE TO CROATIA, NOVEMBER 1992 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6893
- Other titles: MISCELLANEOUS OLD ADMIRALTY BUILDING TAPES [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel RFA Argus en route to Split, Croatia delivering vehicles and supplies as part of the UN contingent in the former Yugoslavia.
- Description: (Tape 1) Aerial views of RFA Argus with Royal Navy Sea King helicopters of 845 Naval Air Squadron (from Yeovilton); other Sea Kings in white UN livery taking off and in flight. Brief, fragmentary interview with captain (about the delivery of equipment to the Cheshire Regiment). Sea Kings and trucks in UN livery on the deck; RFA Fort Austin (A386) sails past. Further helicopters taking off and in flight. (Tape 2) Flight deck activity preparation of Royal Navy Sea King helicopters of 845 Naval Air Squadron (from Yeovilton). Helicopters practise deck take-offs and landings. Aerial shots from helicopter of RFA Argus (A135) and of helicopters landing on. (Tape 3) Shots from quayside in Split, Croatia, RFA Argus off-loads UN vehicles: Land Rovers and Land Rover ambulances are lowered to quayside by crane and then driven off. Bedford lorries and tanker (all in white UN livery) are also craned off. (Tape 4) Night flying sequence, shot from deck: Sea King helicopter in flight drops flares. Lights of Sea King helicopter (it resembles a UFO). Second, more spectacular, flare drop: applause from members of crew. Interviews with Charge Chief Fred Watts (Senior Maintenance Rating) about his job and the journey to Split. General views of deck. AEM Al Saunders poses for photographs on deck: his arm is in plaster and has been decorated in UN livery. Entry into Split: views of coastline, and of other auxiliaries - RFA Sir Bedivere (L3004) and RFA Resource (A480). After docking, off-loading of vehicles (Land Rovers) from deck takes place.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © Crown copyright: IWM (ADM 6893)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1992-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Royal Navy (Production sponsor) Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 4 Footage: 20; Running time: 78 mins
- Notes: Technical: Tapes 3 and 4 are out of chronological sequence, reflecting the order in which the tapes were originally listed by the Royal Navy.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: