- Title: DPRN PHOTOGRAPHIC VIDEO NEWS TEAMS: Putting the Royal Navy in the Public Eye [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6736
- Other titles: ROYAL NAVY VIDEOS: 1990s [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Promotional video highlighting the ways the work of the Department of Public Relations (Navy) is used.
- Description: Tape begins with a five minute montage with music showing the wide range of activities covered by DPR(N) video teams (helicopters, ships, Royal Marines, sports, even a fashion show and shots of the Greenpeace ship Solo protesting against Trident). This is followed by various captioned items. "BBC Satellite Uplink System" shows the semi-portable system being set up on the deck of a ship. "The Video News Release (VNR)" gives an example used by Sky News in March 1998 (HMS Invincible in the Gulf). "BBC News Regional News Release" shows a regional news item on HMS Somerset in Saint Petersburg. HMS Southampton off Montserrat (Meridian TV)" gives another example. "Films and Documentaries". Use of Royal Navy ships and footage in film and television, including clips from the James Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies" showing HMS Devonshire in the South China Seas and HMS Illustrious in the documentary series "Task Force" at action stations. "Interviews" gives DPR(N) examples, from crew (woman bandsman in the Royal Marines) to politicians (Dr John Reid, in an unguarded moment) and a presentation to camera by the Rt Hon George Robertson.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6736)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1999
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 30; Running time: 28 mins
- Notes: Summary: the George Robertson piece can be found in full as ADM 6627.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 6627 (AN ADDRESS BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR DEFENCE [Main Title])