BRITANNIA YOUTH MOVEMENT WELCOMES HITLER YOUTH TO ENGLAND BEFORE VISITING NUREMBERG PARTY RALLY, 1936 [Allocated Title]
- Title: BRITANNIA YOUTH MOVEMENT WELCOMES HITLER YOUTH TO ENGLAND BEFORE VISITING NUREMBERG PARTY RALLY, 1936 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: MGH 6876
- Other titles: AMATEUR FILM BY UNIDENTIFIED CAMERAMAN [Alternative Title]
- Summary: Amateur film shot by a supporter or member of the Britannia Youth Movement (BYM) founded by H C Andrews in early 1936, records formal and informal scenes during their stay at Dymchurch Holiday Camp (St Mary's Bay, Kent) with fifty Hitlerjugend (HJ) members, including wreath-laying at the Cenotaph on 1 August 1936, and covers the return visit made by fifty BYM boys to Germany to spend one week in Silschede in the Ruhr, then see the Olympic Games and other attractions in Berlin, Reichsarbeitsdienst labourers working at forestry, and the Nuremberg Party Rally in September 1936.
- Description: Large Englishman in naval-type uniform (H C Andrews?), with BYM President Capel Morris (bespectacled, trimmer and older, wearing winged collar) walk towards camera across airfield (Littlestone?) Their blazers share identical insignia. Unit of BYM members of various ages parade past bearing Union Jack, flanked by Andrews. Then follows a unit of Hitler Youth boys, bearing the swastika flag, and watched with interest by a group of young teenage girls in simple summer clothes standing beside the WWI-era barracks building marked Burnley, with housing estate visible in background). English boys appear younger than their German counterparts although camera dwells on most youthful boys of both nationalities. Both units then parade together, the English noticeably less adept at marching than their guests. Ceremonial inspection of the English group by Morris, who does not respond to the Nazi salute of the HJ leader. Pimpfe flash on young boy's arm. HJ boys goosestep past their English and German superiors, only the latter (including a woman) returning the Nazi salute. "Bolton" sign on one of the several barracks type buildings. Scenes of camaraderie. Inside the barracks block, camp beds indicate this is dormitory for HJ. Prize-giving of silver cups. Boys wave down from top of Shoreham Lighthouse (?). Into bus. Running on the South Downs. Gyro Auto-Cierva powers up, Liitlestone Airfield (?). Other aeroplanes, possibly an Air Day. HJ boys in Canterbury - Ye Olde English Butchers Shoppe.; HJ and BYM parade through, bearing their flags. Formed up on parade in squares, outside Canterbury Cathedral, with vicar inspecting. Leaders emerge from Cathedral with boys behind, presumably after attending Sunday service. HJ march through streets of Canterbury. HJ boys place wreath inscribed 'Continental Remembrance Brings Everlasting Peace - Hitler Jugend' at Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) on 2 August. (12 mins 24 secs) Mitropa railway sleeping carriages, having brought visitors to Nuremberg for the Reich Party Congress of Honour, 8-14 September 1936. Capel Morris walks towards camera, and is seated among well dressed spectators watching from the stands of the Nuremberg Stadium. Units bearing swastika parade inside the Stadium. Crowds throng the Hauptmarktplatz (Main Market Square), which is swastika bedecked. Hitler arrives, with Goering behind. Hitler approaches parade stand. Units parade past on far side of square. Back to the stadium. Hitler on ground then in motorcade past. SS units goosestep past, preceding band, along country cobbled road. Capel Morris comes out of hotel and is greeted by his younger German hosts. Inside the Zeppelinhalle, SA units enter bearing standards. Outside. Morris lights pipe. Walking beside Mitropa carriage. View from stand of the military parade ground, with marchpast by Reichsarbeitsdienst members bearing spades. High-angle view down from top of stand, over outstretched arms of heiling youths. Visitors milling around afterwards . BYM boys with their German hosts. Andrews in uniform approaches camera. Tracking shots through Berlin. Andrews and Capel Morris wih their German hosts. Dornier overhead. Meal indoors attended by BYM. Andrews watches RAD men pass by. Small Hitler Youth boy (from England tour) reports to superiors. RAD men march along country lane. Felling trees. BYM boys handle tree-felling and planing tools. RAD men sing. Cruising along River Rhine. Morris with his boys in sports clothes walking, then playing on pole swing and see-saw. (Out of sequence) HJ and BYM boys lay wreaths (reportedly marked 'Continental Remembrance Brings Everlasting Peace") at the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) in informal ceremony, with London buses passing. (Back to Germany) HJ boys in Germany. HJ boys doing PT. Bare-torsoed RAD men, admired by Andrews, before unit marches off to band accompaniment. BYM at outdoor formal assembly with HJ and girls of the BDM (Bund Deutscher Mädel).
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period:
- Production Date: 1936-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details:
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 16mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 1245 ft; Running Time: 34 mins 36 secs
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: