ARTILLERY IN ACTION IN SUPPORT OF THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION IN SOUTHERN HOLLAND (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Title: ARTILLERY IN ACTION IN SUPPORT OF THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION IN SOUTHERN HOLLAND (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 169-4
- Other titles:
- Summary: Medium artillery goes into action against German units astride the Deurne-St Anthonis road in support of the 11th Armoured Division.
- Description: Two 5.5-inch guns belonging to the 77th (Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry) Medium Regiment RA's 103 Battery are seen emplaced in a field near Gemert. The cameraman focuses on one of the medium gun detachments in action, loading projectiles and their accompanying bagged propellant charges into the breech, afterwards checking the gun sights and traversing the gun onto a new target bearing before repeating loading and firing process and inserting detonators and fitting fuse cones onto more 5.5-inch shells.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-09-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Laws, George E J1916-02-15 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Artillery, Medium Regiment 77, Bty 103 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: combat, British: artillery bombardment (object name) operations, British military - preparation: priming shells (object name) weapons, British - gun: 5.5-inch (object name) Gemert, North Brabant, Netherlands (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 195 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: see with A70 162-4, 5, 164-4, 8, 165-3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 167-1, 2, 3, 4, 169-1 for footage showing the 11th Armoured Division advancing into southern Holland. Refer generally to "Market-Garden" footage and to ciné material showing 8th Corps' operations in the Overloon-Venraij sector October 1944. The 77th Medium Regiment was a component of 8th Army Group Royal Artillery - an 8th Corps formation. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably 167-4 which features one of 11th Division's artillery units in action. For a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 164-4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: