- Title: ROYAL NAVY MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6800
- Other titles: ROYAL NAVY RECRUITMENT VIDEOS [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: A Royal Navy recruitment film on the Warfare Branch, who provide the Operator Mechanic (OM) personnel that operate all the major warfare systems on modern Royal Navy ships.
- Description: The crew on board Duke Class type 23 frigate HMS Lancaster (F.229) undergo a Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) exercise. Before the exercise, rushes show OM Sarah McManus checking the ships radio equipment, a briefing in the Ops Room, OM’s preparing on board a submarine, Bulldog class hydrographical ship HMS Bulldog (A.317) surveys the route to be used during the exercise and Hunt class mine countermeasure vessel HMS Bicester (M.36) checks the route for any unseen mines. Rushes from HMS Bulldog’s Ops Room, OM’s sweeping the area using sonar and a diver from the ship submerges to detonate a mine on the sea bed. The footage moves to OM’s on board HMS Lancaster in action during the FOST exercise, using radar to track a threat from the air and engaging the threat with the Sea Wolf missile system. The 4.5 inch forward gun is loaded and fired before a submarine threat is identified and the ship moves to an anti submarine warfare (ASW) footing. Footage then moves to Trafalgar class submarine HMS Talent (S.92), as they engage the surface threat from HMS Lancaster with torpedoes and ship damage control teams tackle a practice fire. Lynx and Sea King ASW helicopters sweep for the submarine and engage it with torpedoes before HMS Lancaster’s Sea Wolf missile system is used again to engage an inbound missile from a surface threat, finally launching a Harpoon missile against the enemy vessel. Footage switches to training at shore establishment HMS Raleigh and provides an overview of the specialism’s that can be pursued once basic training is complete. Interviews with OM Sarah Wright and OM Colin Gonga. Brief overview of the promotional ranks that can be worked towards in the future, being Leading Operator Mechanic (LOM), Artificer and Commissioned Officer. Interview with OM(UW) Steve Bryant.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6800)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1998
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Corporate Communications Consultants (Production company) Lomas, Michael (Production individual) Hodgkin, Jane (Production individual) Graham, Martin (Production individual) Crane, Michael (Production individual) Cokes, Tony (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 60; Running time: 18 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 2477 (MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC ON HMS ILLUSTRIOUS, RUSHES [Allocated Title]) ADM 2478 (MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC ON HMS TALENT, RUSHES [Allocated Title]) ADM 2479 (MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC ON HMS IRON DUKE, RUSHES [Allocated Title]) ADM 2480 (MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC AT HMS SULTAN RUSHES [Allocated Title]) ADM 2481 (ROYAL NAVY PERSONNEL STILLS [Allocated Title]) ADM 2706 (MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC VOICEOVER AND AUDIO RUSHES [Allocated Title]) BFP 32 (TOWEX [Main Title]) BFP 33 (STERLING SERVICE [Main Title])