SECRETARY OF STATE FOR DEFENCE MALCOLM RIFKIND VISITS THE MIDDLE EAST, SEPTEMBER 1992 [Allocated Title]
- Title: SECRETARY OF STATE FOR DEFENCE MALCOLM RIFKIND VISITS THE MIDDLE EAST, SEPTEMBER 1992 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6891
- Other titles: MISCELLANEOUS OLD ADMIRALTY BUILDING TAPES [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Unedited coverage of the visit of Malcolm Rifkind to Tornado detachments in the Gulf.
- Description: (Tape 1) Malcolm Rifkind visits the Tornado flight line and meets personnel in position under camouflage netting. He inspects reconnaissance tapes of infra red images taken by TIRRS (Tornado Infra Red Reconnaissance System). On tarmac, he meets with air crews: short narration at this point tells us that he is meeting SENGO (Senior Engineer Officer) Squadron Leader Greg Underhill, Squadron Leader Jim Spencer and Warrant Officer Henderson along with other ground crew. Mr Rifkind climbs carefully into the cockpit of a Tornado accompanied by Sergeant Granby (known as "Granny"). (Tape 2) Mr Rifkind, his hair ruffled, descends gingerly from Tornado aircraft and talks with offficers on the tarmac. Interview in front of Tornado aircraft in which Mr Rifkind discusses his visit and the role of service personnel in the gulf. (Short gap) Press conference in Kuwait in which Mr Rifkind, accompanied by Ambassador Sir William Fullerton, discusses his meetings with the Kuwaiti government, the problem of Saddam Hussein and concerns about Iran. Conference concludes with a question and answer session.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © Crown copyright: IWM (ADM 6891)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1992-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Royal Navy (Production sponsor) Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) Film and Photographic (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 30; Running time: 20 mins (ca)
- Notes: Technical: labelled "Original".
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: