PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Title: PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 19-1
- Other titles:
- Summary: As the projected invasion date approaches, arrangements are made for the reception of troops and their equipment in those parts of southern England adjacent to the embarkation ports.
- Description: I. A sign forbids entry to all except military traffic on a newly-widened section of the A24 near Mickleham, Surrey. A four- man 21st Army Group CMP traffic control detachment draws up by the roadside in an Austin light utility car and proceeds to erect a road sign indicating the proximity of a vehicle recovery post and a Regimental Aid Post. II. At Z.19 transit camp set up by the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers on Southampton Common, the camera inspects the cook-house and its waste disposal arrangements, the butcher's shop, the ration stores, three open stoves, the wash-houses and showers (with signs urging the prevention of waste), the latrines (decorated with the insignia of the Royal Irish Fusiliers) and the tents in the camp's accommodation section. III. At Totton near Southampton, Hampshire County Council workmen engaged in widening the road for heavy traffic clear a strip five feet wide on one side of the road, pour concrete into the gap and level it off.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-05-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Laws, George E J1916-02-15 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Army Gp 21 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Military Police, Corps of, traffic control detachment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: arts, British military - heraldry: insignia, Royal Irish Fusiliers (object name) buildings, British - military: Z.19 transit camp (object name) engineering, civil, British: road widening (object name) operations, British military - preparation: D-Day (object name) society, British military - domestic: Z.19 transit camp (object name) transport, British military - car: Austin light utility car (object name) GB, England & Mickleham area, Surrey <A24 road> (geography) GB, England & Southampton, Hants <Southampton Common & Z.19 transit camp> (geography) Totton, Hampshire, England, UK (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 753 ft; Running time: 8 mins
- Notes: Summary: filmed for production 'X'. See with A70 9-1, 2, 17-1, 2, 3, 19-2 to 5 for footage showing road improvement work etc. Part I of the summary was filmed on 10/5/1944 (?), part II on 11/5/1944, part III on 12/5/1944. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 19-3 and 4 which contain similar, complementary footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: