- Title: SCENES ON THE EUPHRATES - MESOPOTAMIA [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 72
- Other titles: ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA (further episode) (?) [Alternative Title]
- Summary: Everyday life in the Euphrates valley, at the Jewish settlement of Rishon le Zion, and at Hebron and Abraham's Tomb on the Palestine Front, 1917-1918.
- Description: I. The film opens with the Hindiya barrage dam across the Euphrates. The local population fish from small circular coracles, called 'sufas', while others carry pots and loads of fish, and wash the fish roes using a sieve. Others hang up the fish to dry on racks. Near Babylon, grain harvesting is taking place, with the grain being threshed and the chaff winnowed by hand. Pottery is made on a handwheel. II. This is followed by a street scene at the Jewish settlement of Rishon le Zion shortly after its capture by the British in September 1917. It is a Saturday afternoon, a brass band from the Australian Light Horse arrives and begins to play from the bandstand. III. A final scene shows the streets of Hebron, followed by a view of the entrance to the mosque of the Tombs of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (IWM 72)
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Jury's Imperial Pictures (Production company) Jury, William F (Production individual) Varges, Ariel L (Production individual) Hurley, Frank1885-10-151962-01-16Australian photographer (Production individual) Jeapes, Harold (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Australian Army, Australian Imperial Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse (regiment/service)
- Keywords: engineering, civil, Turkish: dam (object name) agriculture, Mesopotamian - fisheries: [+] (object name) society, Mesopotamian - ethnic (object name) agriculture, Mesopotamian - arable (object name) arts, Mesopotamian - ethnic (object name) industry, Mesopotamian - craft (object name) buildings, Jewish - residential (object name) society, Jewish - ethnic (object name) buildings, Palestinian - religious: mosque (object name) 01/3(567) (event) 01/3(569) (event) Turkey & Euphrates River, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Hindiya, Mesopotamia <dam> (geography) Turkey & Rishon le Zion, Palestine (geography) Turkey & Hebron, Palestine (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 616 ft; Running time: 11 mins
- Notes: Production: the format of this film closely resembles that of IWM 78, IWM 79 and IWM 80, which comprise the series ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA. It is possible that this is the first episode of the series. Summary: see also IWM 18, IWM 61, IWM 81 and IWM 82.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
IWM 78 (ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA - 2 [Main Title]) IWM 79 (ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA - 3 [Main Title]) IWM 80 (ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA - 4 [Main Title]) IWM 18 (JEWISH COLONIES IN PALESTINE : Rishon Le Zion [Main Title]) IWM 61 (WITH THE FORCES IN MESOPOTAMIA - SERIES 1 (?) [Main Title]) IWM 81 (BAGHDAD, BABYLON AND BAALBEC [Main Title]) IWM 82 (BRITISH ADVANCE ON THE EUPHRATES UNDER THE COMMAND OF MAJOR-GENERAL BROOKING [Main Title])