- Title: ROYAL NAVY AEM [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6801
- Other titles: ROYAL NAVY RECRUITMENT VIDEOS [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: A Royal Nay recruitment film, focused on the role of the Air Engineering Mechanic (AEM)., with narrated footage of all the sites and training discussed, along with interviews with former and current cadets who have experiences the processes.
- Description: Part one of new recruit training sees them undergoing basic training at shore establishment HMS Raleigh, Torpoint in Cornwall. Once this is complete, part two sees the cadets transfer to HMS Sultan, the Defence College of Electro-mechanical Engineering (DCEME), Gosport, Her Majesty’s naval base (HMNB) Portsmouth. Here, they complete a 20 week technical and classroom training course. Part three of their training focuses on the skills and disciplines involved in more specific activities, such as weapons loading and electrical wiring, which culminates in a 2 day long final QX exam and leads to a City and Guilds qualification in Basic Aircraft Engineering. Part four is when the part qualified AEMs are transferred to a Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS), to focus on their chosen specialism and work on specific aircraft for a further 20 weeks. Periods of unsupervised working leads to them gaining the “Qualified to sign” and “Qualified to maintain” awards. From here, the qualified AEMs can either move to a front line squadron on a frigate or aircraft carrier, move into a Royal Marine support squadron or work from a more permanent RNAS base.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 6801)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 2000
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Royal Navy (Production sponsor)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: Beta-SP Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 60; Running time: 18 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
BFP 11 (HMS SULTAN AIRCRAFT ENGINEER MECHANIC RUSHES [Allocated Title]) BFP 12 (RNAS YEOVILTON AIRCRAFT ENGINEER MECHANIC RUSHES [Allocated Title]) BFP 14 (HMS ILLUSTRIOUS AIRCRAFT ENGINEER MECHANIC RUSHES [Allocated Title])