- Title: GROUND ATTACK, AIR SUPPLY AND LEAFLET OPERATIONS BY HAWKER HURRICANES OF RAF 42 SQUADRON OVER BURMA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 51
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: RAF 42 Squadron Hawker Hurricanes are used to attack ground targets, drop parachute supply canisters and distribute leaflets over Burma, October-November 1944.
- Description: Aerial footage showing Hurricane firing guns and dropping bombs on Japanese target on jungle hillside at Mawku Chaung, east of Tamu on the Indo-Burma border. Smoke and cartridge casings from machine guns visible and bombs seen dropping away from aircraft. Leaflets released from Hurricane in front flutter past camera. Aerial footage with watercourse below, possibly the River Chindwin. Supply canister dropping from Hurricane with parachutes but somewhat unclear due to murky weather and poor light. Divebombing attacking on 'Vital Corner' on the Tiddim-Kalemyo road, with Hurricane descending through hole in cloud. Hurricane flies low over wooded hillside, possibly the 8,040-foot Sialum Vum east of Tiddim. Bomb attack on Japanese bunkers near Mawku, overlooking the Chindwin with marker smoke. Explosions and smoke rising. Shots of bombs bursting. Bombing target near Indaingyi, east of Magwe. Two angles of dropping supplies to small party of troops gathering intelligence behind enemy lines near Lawtha (east north-east of Mawlaik). Clear view of bomb bursting on bridge at Hpaunzeik, north-east of Kalemyo. Bombs bursting on targets north-east of Myintha (near Pakokku on the River Irrawaddy). Bombing attack with marker smoke on the Tiddim road near Milestone 21, between Kennedy Peak and Vital Corner. Bombing attack on target in paddy fields near Indaingyi. Aerial footage over jungle, attacking target in smoke. Attack pressed to low level. Parachute resupply - very good view of canisters dropping and parachutes inflating. Marker smoke visible. Bombing attack on bridge at Muthaik, east of Kalewa.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-25
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Ryley (Flight Lieutenant) (person) Endacott (Warrant Officer) (person) Snelling (Warrant Officer) (person) Theobald (Flight Sergeant) (person) Holloway (Flight Sergeant) (person) Rowley (Sergeant) (person) Duncan (Sergeant) (person) Hurst, Sergeant (person) Royal Air Force, 42 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Mawku Chaung, Burma (geography) Chindwin (River), Burma (geography) Indaingyi, Burma (geography) Lawtha, Burma (geography) Hpaunzeik, Burma (geography) Muthaik, Burma (geography) Fighter operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 694 ft; Running time: 8 minutes
- HD Media:Yes
- Notes: A number of pilots named on dopesheet, including: Flight Lieutenant Ryley, Warrant Officers Endacott and Snelling, Flight Sergeants Theobald and Holloway, Sergeants Rowley, Duncan, and Hurst. Ryley and Endacott can be seen in IWM photograph CF 263. 5th Indian Division began advancing along the Tiddim Road in July 1944 following the abandonment of the Japanese offensive against Imphal. Tiddim was occupied on 17 October and the advance continued towards Kalemyo. 5th Indian Division was eventually withdrawn from the line in the first week of December, having been in action for 14 months. These ground operations are covered in great detail by British Army cameramen and can be found in the film series referenced below. See related items. Dates on slates range from 25 October 1944 to 13 November 1944, which are consistent with ground operations in this area. Dopesheet dated 14 December 1944.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 78 (HURRICANE GROUND ATTACK OPERATIONS FROM ONBAUK AIRSTRIP, ON THE RIVER IRRAWADDY, BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 99 (GROUND ATTACK AND SUPPLY OPERATIONS BY RAF HAWKER HURRICANES [Allocated Title]) ABY 98 (HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS BY RAF 42 SQUADRON AT ONBAUK [Allocated Title]) CF 263 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) Documents.17155 (System.Xml.XmlElement) 11381 ()