GENERAL DE GAULLE VISITS THE BRITISH AND AMERICAN SECTORS OF THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: GENERAL DE GAULLE VISITS THE BRITISH AND AMERICAN SECTORS OF THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 45-5
- Other titles:
- Summary: General de Gaulle arrives on 'Juno' Beach with the nucleus of his provisional government in order to pre-empt the firm establishment of an Allied military government in the newly-liberated regions of France.
- Description: De Gaulle and his associates - notably General Koenig, Commander-in-Chief of the French Forces of the Interior, M Vienot, the provisional government's foreign minister, and Admiral d'Argenlieu, Free French naval commander - disembark from a 199th GT company RASC DUKW onto 'Mike Green' Beach at Graye- sur-Mer. On hand to meet de Gaulle's party is Major Sanderson from 21st Army Group HQ. De Gaulle discusses either a point of protocol or his party's itinerary with Commander de Boislambert; Colonel de Chevigne (?), Vienot, Koenig, d'Argenlieu and M Palewski listen in. De Gaulle and Vienot get into Major Sanderson's jeep before leaving for Montgomery's HQ at Creully. Two RN Beach Group Commandos from No 7 Beach Group tie a miniature Tricolour to the jeep's windscreen. Note the invasion craft stranded by the low tide in the background.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-14
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Johnson, John Norman (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Argenlieu, Georges Thierry d' (person) Bethouart, Marie Emile Antoine (person) De Chevigne (Colonel) (person) Boislambert, de (Commandant) (person) Gaulle, Charles André Joseph Marie de (person) Humphrey (Lieutenant Colonel) (person) Koenig, Pierre (person) Sanderson (Major) (person) Vienot, Pierre (person) British Army, Beach Gp 7 (regiment/service) Free French Forces, Forces Francaises de l'Interieur (regiment/service) British Army, Army 21 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Army Service Corps, General Transport Coy 299 (regiment/service) Royal Navy (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, United States - amphibious: DUKW & [British] (object name) delegations, French international - military: De Gaulle visits Normandy beaches (object name) operations, British military - amphibious (object name) Juno Beach, Graye-sur-Mer, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 87 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 45-1 to 4, 46-11 for footage showing de Gaulle's visit to Normandy and with A70 34-1, 40-1, 46-10, 49-1 and 2, 57-11 for ciné material showing other VIPs - Churchill, HM King George VI - paying similar visits. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 45-4 which contains complementary, almost identical footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 45-1.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: