- Title: THE MOTOR SUBMERSIBLE CANOE [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 2578
- Other titles:
- Summary: Naval instructional film describing the motor submersible canoe (MSC); film is divided into seven parts.
- Description: I. A general introduction giving performance characteristics and explaining the principles of tank flooding and blowing in an underwater craft. II. The Craft and How it Works. A graphic display showing the MSC's submergence mechanisms, propulsion unit, controls and instrumentation. III. Choosing the Right Man for the Job. Essential qualifications for an MSC pilot - love of water and proficiency in swimming. Training in surface swimming and use of rubber fins. Method of donning the diving suit and familiarisation with breathing apparatus. Preliminary and advanced underwater training. IV. Static Division and Surfacing. Flooding procedure necessary for MSC submergence. Controlled practice of diving and surfacing. Number of 'blows' provided by MSC's air tanks. Procedure for bringing and surfacing MSC onto an even trim. V. Tactical Use of the Craft. Speed and range. Alternative methods of propulsion - paddle and sail. Method of "positioning" on an approach run to a target. Common mistakes made in handling the MSC. VI. Driver's Operational Inspection. Checking of the craft and preparation of the suit and breathing gear. VII. The Operation; launching of the canoes from their carrier vessel. Underwater approach to the target. Placing of the limpet mines and withdrawal. Destruction of the enemy vessel.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor) Royal Naval Film Section (Production company) Office of Strategic Services (USA) Marine Unit and Field Photographic Branch (exterior material by) (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: English Title language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 2639 ft; Running time: 29 mins
- Notes: Remarks: originally classified as "Secret".
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 664 (MOTOR SUBMERSIBLE CANOE (RUSHES 1) [Allocated Title])