- Title: SICILY [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 506/2/1
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: British troops in Sicily.
- Description: The 8th Army storming a pillbox outside Enna, preceded by a scout car. Troops passing through the wrecked pillbox and past the Italian gun. The body of an Italian gunner lying beside the gun. Troops firing from a building in a captured town. Italian snipers being captured. Italians surrendering with their hands up. Local Fascists in Pamocca being marched out of their headquarters and being driven away. An officer of AMGOT (Allied Military Government of the Occupied Territory) puts up a poster of Churchill in Italian over a Fascist propaganda poster. Sicilian villagers cautiously approach and read the poster. Sherman tanks driving through the old streets of Grammichele. Panning shot of the countryside, ending with Sherman tanks rumbling into the foreground. Long shot of Grammichele nestling in the hills.
- Access Conditions: IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-21
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Hopkinson, Peter Richard Gunton1920-06-272007-06-28Hopkinson started him career in the film industry at the age of 16 as a clapper boy at Ealing Studios, then working at Denham Studios. He volunteered for overseas service in 1941and was an AFPU photographer and informant in the "Wartime Filming" interview project. He was sent to Persia initially to make a film about getting supplies through to Russia and made many other films in the Western Desert. He joined the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). His career after the war was mainly filming documentaries and his last documentary was Whickers War, made in 2004. (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Eighth Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Enna, Sicily, Italy (geography) Grammichele, Sicily, Italy (geography) Operation Husky, Allied Invasion of Sicily 1943, Italy, Second World War (event) Italy 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: Footage: 490 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects: