- Title: INVASION OF SICILY [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 496/1
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: The Highland Division landing on the south east corner of Sicily, near Avola.
- Description: An LST with a pontoon bridge to shore. Transport leaving the LST and running along the pontoon bridge to shore. The exit ramp in the bows of the LST being lowered. A staff car runs along the pontoon bridge and down the ramp onto the beach. An LST with a LCT beyond, a rowing boat and a small amphibious craft returning to the beach. LSTs in the background with two large amphibious craft passing.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Hopkinson, Peter Richard Gunton1920-06-272007-06-28Hopkinson started him career in the film industry at the age of 16 as a clapper boy at Ealing Studios, then working at Denham Studios. He volunteered for overseas service in 1941and was an AFPU photographer and informant in the "Wartime Filming" interview project. He was sent to Persia initially to make a film about getting supplies through to Russia and made many other films in the Western Desert. He joined the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). His career after the war was mainly filming documentaries and his last documentary was Whickers War, made in 2004. (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, 51st Highland Division (regiment/service) Royal Navy (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Avola, Sicily, Italy (geography) Italy 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 807 ft; Running time: 8 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects: