- Title: SOUTH AFRICANS HOLD A MEMORIAL SERVICE IN DELVILLE WOOD [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 169
- Other titles:
- Summary: Memorial service held by the South African Brigade for its members killed in taking Delville Wood during the First Battle of the Somme, Western Front, the service taking place in early 1917.
- Description: The brigade is drawn up in hollow square around the wooden memorial in Delville Wood. The three chaplains - Anglican, Dutch Reform and Presbyterian - conduct the service. The divisional commander, Major-General H T Lukin (9th Division) and Brigadier-General F S Dawson commanding the brigade are both present. The buglers blow the last post. Lukin presents medals won in the taking of Delville Wood while another officer reads the citations (one officer appears to be crying). Members of VAD place wreaths at the foot of the memorial. One of them, shown in close-up, is the High Commissioner's daughter, Miss Schreiner. The brigade then marches past its divisional and brigade commanders, along a corduroy road. The 4th (South African Scottish) Regiment, which is also shown at rest at the end of the film, is prominent with its kilts and springbok mascot.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1917
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Cinema Committee (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Schreiner (Miss) (person) Lukin, Henry T (person) Dawson, F S (person) British Army, Div 9 (regiment/service) South African Army, South African Bde (regiment/service) Voluntary Aid Detachment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ceremonies, South African - event-related: memorial (object name) religion, Christianity - military, South African (object name) animals, mammals: springbok (object name) 01/3(4-15) (event) Delville Wood, Somme, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 321 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: Title: the title and some of the details of the film come from the shotsheet. Some of this footage was also used in a Topical Budget newsreel item (see NTB 343-2).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
NTB 343-2 (TOPICAL BUDGET 343-2 (item) [Main Title])