SOUTH GEORGIA RECAPTURED AND FIRST FALKLANDS CASUALTIES [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: SOUTH GEORGIA RECAPTURED AND FIRST FALKLANDS CASUALTIES [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 4833
- Other titles: FALKLANDS CONFLICT [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes around South Georgia after its recapture; shipping in Falklands Sound and casualties arriving on board Canberra.
- Description: Opening shots show the small settlement at South Georgia after its recapture from the Argentinians on 25/4/1982. A close up of a sign on a building "Grytvikens Kino 1930" indicates an old cinema . Troops fire into the countryside (presumably a training exercise as there is no attempt to take cover). Troops move about the area, some at the double. Sunken fishing vessels are seen in the harbour, along with the conning tower of the sunken Argentinian submarine Santa Fe. Canberra is seen anchored out to sea, an old harpoon on the South Georgia shore in the foreground. On board Canberra, anchored in Falklands Sound in the mist, a Wessex helicopter delivers casualties, both Argentinian and British. Several shots show other shipping in the Sound and Landing Craft moving about. At sea on board Canberra, supplies of ammunition are delivered by helicopter. A replenishment vessel sails alongside.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © Crown copyright. IWM (ADM 4833)
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1982-05-01
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) (Production company) Fletcher, James (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 16mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 360 ft; Running time: 10 mins
- Notes: Summary: footage was received with no documentation and little identification. Information is partly based on the recollections of fellow DPR(N) cameraman, Alan Fowler, in 1993. (See note to ADM 4821). The last of the four original camera rolls which make up this reel presumably belongs either at the beginning, or between the two South Georgia rolls and the Falklands roll. Technical: a number of parts of shots have been cut out from the original material for use in RNPT 12 (ADM 2606). Remarks: the camera work is relatively poor.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: