MOUNTBATTEN RELINQUISHES COMMAND IN THE MEDITERRANEAN [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: MOUNTBATTEN RELINQUISHES COMMAND IN THE MEDITERRANEAN [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 1508
- Other titles: POST-WAR NAVAL OPERATIONS - MISCELLANEOUS [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Admiral the Earl Mountbatten of Burma relinquishes command in the Mediterranean, December 1954.
- Description: Admiral Mountbatten arrives at Customs House Steps. Sir Robert Laycock (Governor of Malta) arrives at jetty and takes salute. Admiral and Lady Mountbatten with Sir Robert and Lady Laycock. Mountbatten boards galley that will take him to HMS Surprise, berthed in Grand Harbour: the galley's 'crew' includes Vice-Admiral Fife (USN), Vice-Admiral Cazalet (RN), Rear-Admiral Mornu (French Navy), Rear-Admiral Zepos (Royal Hellenic Navy), Rear-Admiral Calamai (Italian Navy), and Rear-Admiral Karapinar (Turkish Navy). Galley leaves Custom House Steps with Admiral Mountbatten at tiller. Mountbatten takes salute and inspects Guard of honour; he and wife say goodbye at Steps. Governor of Malta arrives on board HMS Jamaica to call on Admiral Sir Guy Grantham (new C-in-C Med), being met by Captain R S Wellby and inspecting Guard on the quarterdeck. Prime Minister of Malta also arrives on board Jamaica. Admiral Mountbatten arrives alongside Surprise in galley and says farewell to galley "crew". Ratings on St Angelo Point cheer Admiral Mountbatten. Harbour scenes as Surprise leaves Malta. Submarines and aircraft carriers, HMS Centaur and HMS Albion, and HMS Whirlwind and HMS Charity steam past or close to Surprise, the latter two cheering ship as they pass. Fleet Air Arm squadrons (Sturgeons, Whirlwinds, Sea Furies and Sea Hawks) fly past, as do RAAF Vampires.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1954-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Calamai (Rear-Admiral) (person) Cazalet, Peter Grenville Lyon (person) Fife, James A (person) Grantham, Guy (person) Karapinar, S (person) Laycock, Roger (person) Laycock (Lady) (person) Mornu, Louis F A (person) Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Mountbatten, Edwina (Countess) (person) Zepos, G (person) Royal Navy, ALBION (HMS), aircraft carrier (regiment/service) Royal Navy, CENTAUR (HMS), aircraft carrier (regiment/service) Royal Navy, CHARITY (HMS), destroyer (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Jamaica (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Surprise (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Whirlwind (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm (regiment/service) Royal Canadian Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: aircraft, British - combat: De Havilland Vampire & [Canadian] (object name) aircraft, British naval - combat: Hawker Sea Hawk (object name) aircraft, British naval - combat: Hawker Sea Fury (object name) aircraft, British naval - helicopter: Westland Whirlwind (object name) aircraft, British naval - light military: Short Sturgeon (object name) ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, light: Albion (object name) ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, fleet: Centaur (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Jamaica (object name) ships, British naval - destroyer: Charity (object name) ships, British naval - frigate: Whirlwind (object name) ships, British naval - communications: Surprise (object name) operations, British naval - routine (object name) celebrations, British - event-related: naval change of command (object name) ceremonies, British - display: flypast (object name) Change of Command, Mediterranean Fleet & 12/1954 (event) Malta & Saint Angelo's Point (geography) Mediterranean Sea (geography)
- Physical Characteristics:
- Technical Details:
- Notes: Summary: film has not been viewed - information is taken from CNI records.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: