MAJOR-GENERAL HOPKINSON ADDRESSING TROOPS; ERECTION OF SYNTHETIC TRAINING APPARATUS [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: MAJOR-GENERAL HOPKINSON ADDRESSING TROOPS; ERECTION OF SYNTHETIC TRAINING APPARATUS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 511/3/3
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Various scenes near Sousse including apparatus for the training of paratroops and a mobile workshop section.
- Description: General view of the 21st Independent Parachute Company getting up from a seated position and giving three cheers for Major-General Hopkinson. Major-General Hopkinson driving his jeep away from the parade. Panning shot of a tubular steel pole being placed in position on a skeleton framework. A man working halfway up the framework. Men lifting part of the framework into position. Two Royal Engineers tightening nuts on the scaffolding. General view of the 261 Field Park Royal Engineers Company mobile workshop section. Panning shot from a blacksmith to the forge. Panning shot from the forge to an anvil. Close up of a jeep trailer air compressor. A compressed air wood drill in action. A circular saw starting up and cutting wood. A small hand Skillsaw at work. Carpenters at work. Two unit signwriters at work. An acetylene welder doing a small repair. An electric welder brazing a piece of metal. A jeep trailer lathe turning down a piece of metal. A jeep trailer with lathe and vertical drill with a bit being changed. A hotset hammer being ground down. A tinsmith bench with electric drill.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (AYY 511/3/3)
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-22
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Spittle, B (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, 21st Independent Parachute Company (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Engineers, 261st Field Park Company (regiment/service) Hopkinson, George Frederick (person)
- Keywords: Italy 1939-1945 (theme) Sousse, Tunisia (geography) Operation Husky, Allied Invasion of Sicily 1943, Italy, Second World War (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 400 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: This is a continuation of AYY 510/8.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: