- Title: INFANTRY NEAR VIZZINI, SNIPERS ROUNDED UP, BREAD DISTRIBUTION [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 510/4
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: The 50th Division and other British troops in Sicily.
- Description: Infantrymen breaking through from cover and advancing across countryside near the town of Vizzini. A group of snipers being marched in by military policemen; their rifles are taken away and they are marched along a street and into custody. Weapons being collected. A British soldier carrying an armful of guns and adding them to a pile of weapons. Civilians queueing for rations. Military police supervising the distribution of bread to a large crowd. Children receiving their bread rations. Various scenes of civilians queueing and jostling, including babies and old people. Civilians fighting for bread rations. A woman leaving with rations. An Eighth Army driver giving rations to children, they clamour for more food. Close up of a child happily eating a biscuit.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (AYY 510/4)
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Hopkinson, Peter Richard Gunton1920-06-272007-06-28Hopkinson started him career in the film industry at the age of 16 as a clapper boy at Ealing Studios, then working at Denham Studios. He volunteered for overseas service in 1941and was an AFPU photographer and informant in the "Wartime Filming" interview project. He was sent to Persia initially to make a film about getting supplies through to Russia and made many other films in the Western Desert. He joined the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). His career after the war was mainly filming documentaries and his last documentary was Whickers War, made in 2004. (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, 50th Division (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Italy 1939-1945 (theme) Vizzini, Sicily, Italy (geography) Operation Husky, Allied Invasion of Sicily 1943, Italy, Second World War (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage:300 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects: