21 MILES : Britain's front line revisited by Edward Murrow of the Columbia Broadcasting System (domestic version) [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: 21 MILES : Britain's front line revisited by Edward Murrow of the Columbia Broadcasting System (domestic version) [Main Title]
- Film Number: COI 485
- Other titles:
- Summary: Film about the South Coast, that part of England nearest the enemy.
- Description: Two years ago this area received the retreating army from Dunkirk and witnessed the Battle of Britain. The tide of battle has ebbed - picture of German airmen's graves - but the "Garden of England" has not gone to sleep - it will be the "United Nations' jumping-off board" for the invasion of Europe. "Britain's garden is going to dish it out". Training in landing craft. Mention of commando raids - small fry compared to the big show to come. Southern England is a vast camp. Troops training - Britain's citizen army is now equipped with the finest arms from home and abroad. Civilian cheerfulness in the face of adversity. Bomb damage in Dover and an interview with the Mayor. F/L Johnston, DFC, reporting the destruction of a Bf 109 during his 68th sweep over enemy territory. Elements of the air offensive: Lancasters in '1,000 bomber' raids which have turned the tide of war into a flood; Blenheims; Hurricanes strafing, with simulated gunsight superimposed over pictures. Film ends with an ordinary British couple confirming their belief in the invasion to come.
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1942-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Army Film Unit (Production company) Watt, Raymond Egerton Harry1906-10-181987-04-02British documentary film maker (Production individual) Murrow, Edward Roscoe1908-04-251965-04-27US radio reporter and commentator: "Ed" (Production cast)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Johnston (Flight Lieutenant) (person) Murrow, Edward Roscoe (person) British Army (regiment/service) Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: aircraft, British - combat: Avro Lancaster (object name) aircraft, British - combat: Bristol Blenheim (object name) aircraft, British - combat: Hawker Hurricane (object name) aircraft, German - combat: Messerschmitt Bf 109 (object name) casualties, German dead - graves, formal (object name) destruction, British military - area: bomb (object name) propaganda, British - inspirational (object name) society, British - domestic (object name) society, British - precautionary (object name) training, British military (object name) GB, England & <south coast> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 717 ft; Running time: 8 mins
- Notes: Remarks: this version released for domestic viewing. For foreign release version see COI 484. This film is a sequel to THE FRONT LINE (UKY 209), a portrait of Dover in 1940.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: