30TH CORPS GOES ONTO THE OFFENSIVE IN THE 'BOCAGE' REGION OF NORMANDY [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: 30TH CORPS GOES ONTO THE OFFENSIVE IN THE 'BOCAGE' REGION OF NORMANDY [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 107-7
- Other titles:
- Summary: 43rd (Wessex) Division continues its advance southwards from Caumont through country which, on account of its closeness, favours the defenders more than the attackers.
- Description: Two sappers probe for mines in a roadside verge near the corpse of a Wehrmacht infantryman from the 326th Division; in the background, universal carriers and infantrymen from the 5th Wiltshire Regiment turn off the lane and head for the Bois du Homme. Infantry from the 7th Hampshire Regiment set off across country towards Cahagnes. Armour from the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry lend support to 130th Brigade. A Loyd Carrier from the 5th Wiltshire's anti-tank platoon carries members of the battalion into action near the Bois du Homme. A universal carrier utilised by the Hampshires as an ambulance returns from the front with a cargo of British and German wounded and medical orderlies from the two armies. Infantrymen from the 4th Wiltshire Regiment wheel their bicycles up a leafy lane while others hitch a ride into battle on the back of an M10 Achilles from the 73rd Anti- tank Regiment RA, seen here moving along a thickly overgrown track. A signaller sergeant in the 7th Hampshire attempts to repair his No. 18 radio set damaged by a mortar bomb.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-31
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Covey (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Engineers (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Corps of Signals (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) British Army, Wiltshire Regiment, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 129 (regiment/service) British Army, Hampshire Regiment, 7th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 130 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 43 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Army Medical Corps (regiment/service) British Army, Yeomanry, Sherwood Rangers (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 8 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) armour, United States - funnies: M4 Sherman Firefly & [British] (object name) armour, British - carrier: Loyd (object name) armour, United States - SPG: M10 Achilles (object name) casualties, German dead - battlefield (object name) prisoners of war (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 146 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Note: See A70 107-6 for similar footage and refer to A70 105-3, 4 and 5, 107-8 and 9, 109-3, 4 and 6, 112-3, 113-17, 22 and 25, 115-1, B and 3 and 116-1 for footage showing the 43rd (Wessex) Division in action during "Bluecoat" culminating in the capture of Mont Pincon. Paralleling 43rd (Wessex) Division's advance through the 'bocage' was the 15th (S) Division which enjoyed greater success. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with ciné material listed above, notably A70 107-6. Documentation/associated material: in addition to the items listed in A70 105-3 and 4 as a bibliography, refer to 'The Regimental History of the Royal Hampshire Regiment : Volume 3' by D S Daniell and 'The Story of the Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh's) by Colonel Kenrick.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: