THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 75-2
- Other titles:
- Description: A Stuart III tank (144th RAC's recce troop) motors into Lebisey. Shermans and a Humber scout car (144th RAC's 'A' or 'C' squadron and RHQ troop) advance towards Couvre-Chef; note the numerous German anti-glider stakes. A Luftwaffe Feldwebel is searched by a 3rd Division 'Redcap'; bedraggled prisoners try out new boots, smoke cigarettes and sleep in a temporary reception cage. MPs search a Wehrmacht prisoner. An RAF flight officer, cigarette in mouth, talks to a major (2nd Battalion Middlesex Regiment) and other officers, having reached British lines after a month in hiding in Caen. Watched by 'Redcaps', Luftwaffe prisoners sit in the back of a CMP truck; more Luftwaffe troops arrive at the POW reception cage. From the Caen-Bieville/Douvres-la-Délivrande road, the cameraman surveys Caen and its moon-like northern suburbs; explosions (German demolitions) occur in the city. Humber III light recce cars and Churchill AVREs (3rd Recce Regiment and 5th Assault Regiment RE) make their way into Caen. The cameraman surveys the devastation and observes infantrymen and a universal carrier detachment (2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles) entering the city; smoke rises from explosions inside Caen and shelling in the countryside beyond the Orne (?).
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Alcock, J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 450 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Documentation/associated material: see with A70 71-3 to -5, 9, 72-3, 4, 8, 9, 73-1 to -4, 74-2, 3, 75-3 to 5, 76-1, 3, 77-2 to -4, 6, 8 for footage showing 3rd Division in action during "Charnwood". See dope sheet for details of the RAF evader seen here. The Churchill AVREs seen here were sent into Caen to assist 1st Corps in establishing bridgeheads over the Orne; however, no opportunity for such operations arose until July 19th. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 75-3, 4 and 5 which contain similar, complementary footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: