- Title: THE GUN (short version) [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 133A
- Other titles:
- Summary: Propaganda film, with Ed Murrow, made for American consumption to stress the dependence of the British war effort on American production, via the Oerlikon gun in convoy defence.
- Description: (Reel 1) Having driven through a (faked) blitz, Murrow arrives at the heavily fortified Admiralty, where Captain Formby explains that Britain needs immediate help. Rôle of Navy in convoy production (excellent film of "HMS Nelson", Mediterranean Fleet, alarm sequence, minesweeping by trawlers). (Reel 2) Wireless room at Admiralty, centre of naval communications. Signal to merchant ship "Greyfriars" in Yarmouth to join convoy. Her armament, a 12-pounder and a Lewis Gun, prove ineffective against subsequent air attack. Ship lost, survivors strafed. At post-mortem the surviving captain demands proper ack-ack guns. Good scenes of Oerlikon production in England, women workers, 'organised labour' speaks, ceaseless production. But still not enough; American guns are also needed. Crew of "Greyfriars" afloat again, Lewis and Oerlikon compared. New gun shoots down attacker. "You must send guns to make every ship a war ship."
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1940
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor) British Paramount News (Production company) Cummins, G T (Production individual) Murrow, Edward Roscoe1908-04-251965-04-27US radio reporter and commentator: "Ed" (Production cast)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Formby (Captain) (person) Murrow, Edward Roscoe (person) Royal Navy, Nelson (regiment/service) Merchant Marine (regiment/service)
- Keywords: combat [simulated], British - air strike anti-ship [i] (object name) communications, British naval - electronic (object name) industry, British - weapons (object name) propaganda, British - practical (object name) operations, British naval - routine (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: Nelson (object name) society, British - precautionary (object name) weapons, Swiss - gun [AA]: Oerlikon & [British] (object name) weapons, British - gun: Lewis (object name) GB, England (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1964 ft; Running time: 22 mins
- Notes: Remarks: good film, despite stilted acting.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 133 (THE GUN (long version) [Main Title])