PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: PREPARATIONS FOR D-DAY NEAR THE INVASION EMBARKATION PORTS IN SOUTHERN ENGLAND (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 19-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Roads and embarkation ports are made ready for the pre-D-Day build-up.
- Description: I. A CMP lance-corporal (wearing a Northern Ireland Military District flash on his shoulder) directs military traffic at a cross-roads on the A31 'Hogsback' road near Guildford in Surrey. In the background is a steam roller completes work on the recently-widened tarmac road. The cameraman studies various warning signs put up by RAC personnel placing restrictions on civilian and military use of certain sections of the road. II. Civilian workmen lay prefabricated concrete sections at low tide in Gosport during the construction of an embarkation 'hard'. III. Military direction signs adorn a newly-constructed dual- carriageway section of the A33 (?) near Winchester. A 15cwt truck drives past No 19 AFV depot on the A33 Winchester bypass where men can be seen at work on a Churchill tank. M10 Achilles 17- pounder SPGs are towed on M9 trailers by RASC Diamond T M19 prime movers along the A31 Winchester-Guildford road. The camera examines the picturesque parish church of Herriard together with its overgrown cemetery.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-05-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Harris, L W J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Army Service Corps (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Military Police Corps, Northern Ireland personnel (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - tank: Churchill (object name) armour, United States - SPG: M10 Achilles & [British] (object name) buildings, British - religious: Herriard parish church and cemetery (object name) engineering, civilian, British: construction of embarkation 'hard (object name) engineering, civilian, British: road widening (object name) operations, British military - movement: road (object name) operations, British military - preparation: D-Day (object name) transport, British civilian - engineering: steam roller (object name) transport, British military - : M9 trailer (object name) transport, British military - prime mover: Diamond T M19 (object name) transport, British military - truck: 15cwt truck (object name) Gosport, Hampshire, England, UK (geography) GB, England & Guildford, Surrey <A31 'Hogsback' road> (geography) GB, England & Herriard, Hants <parish church> (geography) GB, England & Surrey <Number 19 AFV depot> (geography) GB, England & Surrey <A31 Winchester-Guildford road> (geography) GB, England & Winchester area, Hants <A33 road> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 282 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Summary: filmed for production 'X'. See with A70 9-1, 2, 17-1 to 3, 19-1, 3 to 5 for footage showing road improvement work etc. Part I of the summary was filmed on 10/5/1944 (?), part II on 11/5/1944, part III on 12/5/1944. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 19-5 which contains complementary footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: