TANKS OF THE STAFFORDSHIRE YEOMANRY AND THE LOTHIAN AND BORDER HORSE ACCOMPANY 3RD DIVISION INFANTRY INTO ACTION [Allocated Title]
- Title: TANKS OF THE STAFFORDSHIRE YEOMANRY AND THE LOTHIAN AND BORDER HORSE ACCOMPANY 3RD DIVISION INFANTRY INTO ACTION [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 85-1
- Other titles:
- Summary: Armour from two tank regiments transports part of 3rd British Division's 185th Brigade into action during 1st Corps' push towards the Caen-Troarn railway from the Orne bridgehead.
- Description: Troops serving with the 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry's leading company board Sherman gun-tanks and flails belonging to the Staffordshire Yeomanry's 'C' squadron and the 1st Lothian and Border Horse's 'B' squadron and receive last- minute instructions before leaving their assembly point between Herouvillette and Escoville. Infantry on foot and engineering detachments accompany the tanks from the two regiments as they file through Escoville. A armoured bulldozer clears trees felled by the Germans on the road leading southwards from Escoville. As the armour-infantry force nears Lirose, its first objective, ranging shots from German artillery burst overhead. The first German prisoners are brought in. The second wave, consisting of tank-borne infantry and numerous RAMC teams in half-tracks, moves up to the front under the supervision of military police on traffic duty; an ex-French Hotchkiss tank used by 3rd Division's REME as an ARV is seen near a traffic-control point.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-18
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Wilkes, A E (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Lothians and Border Horse, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Armoured, 79 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 30 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 27 (regiment/service) British Army, Shropshire Light Infantry, King's, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Div 3 (regiment/service) British Army, Yeomanry, Staffordshire (regiment/service) British Army, Infantry Bde 185 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, United States - funnies: M4 Sherman Crab & [British] (object name) armour, United States - funnies: M4 Sherman Firefly & [British] (object name) armour, United States - tank: M4 Sherman & [British] (object name) armour, United States - halftrack: M5 (object name) armour, French - funnies: Char H39/40 ARV (object name) transport, - engineering: bulldozer (object name) signs, military and civilian (object name) 01/5(4-16).233 [ Operation Goodwood] (event) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 584 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 85-2, 5 and 6 for footage showing 185th Brigade infantry and armour assembling for "Goodwood" and refer generally to material showing 3rd British Division units in action during or shortly after the same offensive. The Hotchkiss Char 39/40 tank seen here in service with the British as an ARV was captured from the Germans who used many French vehicles captured in 1940 in Normandy. Remarks: Good shots of assembled armour and infantry. Best seen with items listed above. Documentation/associated material: Read 'The History of the 2nd World War - Victory in the West : Volume 1' by L F Ellis and 'Assault Division' by Norman Scarfe which is a history of the 3rd British Division. Refer also to 'The History of the 2nd Battalion KSLI 1944-45' by Major Rudcliffe and Captain Salt.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: