- Title: HMS DUKE OF YORK ENTERS SAGAMI BAY [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 471
- Other titles: BRITISH NAVAL OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Cameraship HMS Duke of York enters Sagami Bay.
- Description: I. LS-MS broad on the port quarter of HIJMS Hatsuzakura. Cameraship is underway in line ahead with USS Missouri and USS Iowa off the Japanese coast - aircraft circle overhead. HMS Whelp (D.33) closes, and a Japanese translator is transferred to the Duke of York - once onboard he is frisked. II. Camera on an escorting destroyer. MS of Duke of York and US battleships proceeding in line ahead in Sagami Bay. III. Camera on Duke of York. LA.MS of the mainmast flying Admiral's flag at the main and Ensigns at starboard yard and gaff. CU of Ensign on mainyard - by aerial for Type 87 TBS. HA.MSs onto forward starboard side 5.25-inch turret, and spotting positions on upper bridge and compass platform (portside). LA.MS from starboard side of focsle to bridge tower. CUs of Admiral Fraser and Flag Lieutenant looking through binoculars. LS to Iowa Class battleship anchored in Tokyo Bay - twin Oerlikon of cameraship in the foreground. Massed formations of TBD Avengers and other naval strike aircraft pass overhead. MLS silhouette of Iowa Class battleship. USS O'Bannon (450) closes on the starboard quarter, and Admiral Halsey and another US officer are brought across by jackstay. CUs of the conversation between Halsey and Fraser. MSs of the fleet auxiliaries, USS Alamosa and USS Waukesha. HA.MS onto focsle while underway - the deck is crowded with men relaxing in the sun. Elements of the Third Fleet, including strong carrier forces, are visible on the horizon. MLSs of Baltimore Class cruiser passing Iowa Class battleship. British destroyer holds station on Duke of York's starboard quarter. Men sunbathe on the top of a 5.25-inch turret.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-08-27
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor) British Paramount News (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Fraser, Bruce Austin (person) Halsey, William F (person) Royal Navy, DUKE OF YORK (HMS), battleship (regiment/service) Royal Navy, WHELP (HMS), destroyer (regiment/service) United States Navy, MISSOURI (USS) (regiment/service) United States Navy, USS IOWA, battleship (1942) (regiment/service) United States Navy & O'Bannon (regiment/service) United States Navy, USS ALAMOSA, cargo ship (1944) (regiment/service) United States Navy & Waukesha (regiment/service) Imperial Japanese Navy & Hatsuzakura (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - battleship: Duke of York (object name) ships, British naval - destroyer: Whelp (D.33) (object name) ships, United States naval - battleship: Iowa (object name) ships, United States naval - battleship: Missouri (object name) ships, United States naval - cruiser: Baltimore Class & [-] (object name) ships, United States naval - destroyer: O'Bannon (450) (object name) ships, United States naval - supply: Alamosa (object name) ships, United States naval - supply: Waukesha (object name) ships, Japanese naval - destroyer: Hatsuzakura (object name) Japanese Surrender 1945, Pacific War 1941-1945, Second World War (event) Pacific Ocean (geography) Japan & Sagami Bay, Honshu (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 494 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: HIJMS Hatsuzakura carried Japanese naval officers to USS Missouri to discuss the entry of the US Third Fleet into Tokyo Bay to accept the Japanese surrender. The translator brought onboard the Duke of York was for the Japanese-supplied pilot.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 1175 (HMS DUKE OF YORK ENTERS SAGAMI BAY PRIOR TO JAPANESE SURRENDER [Main Title])