A MOTORCYCLE DESPATCH RIDER IN ACTION IN SOUTHERN HOLLAND [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: A MOTORCYCLE DESPATCH RIDER IN ACTION IN SOUTHERN HOLLAND [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 182-10
- Other titles:
- Summary: A despatch rider (DR) serving in the Royal Corps of Signallers delivers a message from 11th Armoured Division's main headquarters to its tactical headquarters in the field.
- Description: AT Main HQ outside Deurne, the DR fills the petrol tank of his BSA 350cc motorcycle from a jerrycan, wheels it from the motorcycle pool and collects documents for Tactical HQ from a major at the signals office who gives him directions for the journey. The DR leaves HQ for the front, passing traffic from other 11th Armoured Division units on the Deurne-St Anthonis Road (?). He consults a divisional military policeman on traffic duty for further directions before leaving the main road. Heading towards the Venraij- Leunen sector of 8th Corps' front along a churned up road, the DR passes a sign warning that it occasionally comes under German artillery fire and, after crossing a single- span Bailey bridge, comes to grief in the mud (2 takes). Picking himself and his bike up, he resumes his journey. Personnel serving with TAC HQ are seen in the turret of their Cromwell tank in woods behind the front line; the DR arrives at the site and climbs onto the tank to hand over the documents.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-22
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Connolly, J R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Belgium (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 89 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-1, 2, 193-3 for footage showing traffic coping with the de Peel region's poor quality road network. Refer also to A70 192-4, and 5 which show 1st Corps flooded lines of communications near Willemstad and to A70 176-1, 180-3, 4, 181-2 for ciné material showing 11th Armoured Division in action in the Overloon-Venraij sector. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 183-3. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publication listed in A70 180-4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: