- Title: HMS CHATHAM (RUSHES) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 6847X
- Other titles:
- Summary: Original unedited footage shot for the documentary HMS CHATHAM, about the Type 22 frigate (F87) of this name.
- Description: (Tape 1) Scenes include signal lamp being used, three sailors, Officer On Watch on the Bridge, "man overboard", sickbay shots and 30mm gun. (Tape 2) Further shots of 30mm gun, painting of ship and the Captain's Secretary at his desk. (Tape 3) 4.5-inch gun firing (shot from bridge), aircrew preparing to fly, FDO (Flight Direction Officer) signalling and helicopter taking off. Shots of HMS Chatham entering Plymouth. (Tape 4) Operations room with sonar screens, firefighting briefing and drill. (Tape 5) Further shots of firefighting drill and coverage of a liquid RAS (replenishment at sea) including two "matings" of the fuel line. (Tape 6) Further coverage of liquid RAS and aerial shots of Chatham at sea. (Tape 7) Aerial shots of HMS Chatham, shots of the "away sea boat" and its crew, and shots of helicopter (including cab interior). (Tape 8) The "away sea boat" and its crew, plus recovery of the boat, and shots of the engine room and personnel. (Tape 9) Interiors of helicopter on take-off, including instrument panels. Aerial shots of Chatham at sunset, plus dusk shots of helicopter cab interior. (Tape 10) Loading of 4.5-inch gun, camera shots over side, painting of winch, sailmaker at sewing machine and being interviewed. (Tape 11) HCO with computer, sailmaker running, walking and splicing rope, and interviews with Able Seaman Ballard, Able Seaman Beasley and the FDO. (Tape 12) Interviews with crewmen including "Chops" Part, STD Gill, MEM Phil Barr and LMEM "Brum" Jeavans. (Tape 13) Scenes at the commissioning ceremony including HRH Princess Margaret inspecting the Guard. (Tape 14) Further scenes at the commissioning ceremony including cutting of cake. Shots of sonar, 4.5-inch shells and of HMS Chatham leaving the port at Chatham. Captain Ian Forbes is seen on top of bridge. Chatham passes through narrow lock. (Tape 15) Further shots of the ship leaving Chatham and Captain Ian Forbes on the Bridge. Food preparation in the galley. (Tape 16) Chef at work in the galley, sports on the flight deck, shots of the Captain's cabin with the Captain's secretary at work and Captain Ian Forbes reading. (Tape 17) Interview with Captain Ian Forbes; also shots of Junior Rates' dining room, sailors playing uckers and the wardroom in the evening. (Tape 18) Shots of the Officer On Watch (including interview) and of breadmaking in the galley. (Tape 19) Scenes include the Captain shaving, buglers calling reveille and Officer On Watch going down passageway on board.
- Access Conditions:
- Featured Period: 1976-2000
- Production Date: 1989
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations (Navy) (Production sponsor) Trident (Production company) Wellings, Paul (Production individual) Pearse, Bob (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: U-matic Number of items/reels/tapes: 19 Footage: 20; Running time: 380 mins (ca)
- Notes: Remarks: originally numbered 1 to 22, but with original tapes 3 to 5 apparently missing.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 6847 (HMS CHATHAM [Main Title])